Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano ready to go Boom!
Volcano ready to go Boom!
http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/nr/2938

Quote:he intense seismic activity that started on 16 of August at Bárðarbunga persists. Very strong indications of ongoing magma movement, in connection with dyke intrusion, is corroborated by GPS measurements. There are currently two swarms: one to the E of Bárðarbunga caldera and one at the edge of Dyngjujökull just E of Kistufell. At 2.37 am on the 18th a strong earthquake (M4) was located in the Kistufell swarm.

This is the strongest earthquake measured in the region since 1996. As evidence of magma movement shallower than 10 km implies increased potential of a volcanic eruption, the Bárðarbunga aviation color code has been changed to orange. Presently there are no signs of eruption, but it cannot be excluded that the current activity will result in an explosive subglacial eruption, leading to an outburst flood (jökulhlaup) and ash emission. The situation is monitored closely.

Annoying as I'm flying out to a Greek Island next week on holiday and there's a good chance my flight could get fucked up if this thing goes up Sad

[Image: 4538945548_0a7d0b014c.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Volcano ready to go Boom!
(August 20, 2014 at 6:11 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/nr/2938

Quote:he intense seismic activity that started on 16 of August at Bárðarbunga persists. Very strong indications of ongoing magma movement, in connection with dyke intrusion, is corroborated by GPS measurements. There are currently two swarms: one to the E of Bárðarbunga caldera and one at the edge of Dyngjujökull just E of Kistufell. At 2.37 am on the 18th a strong earthquake (M4) was located in the Kistufell swarm.

This is the strongest earthquake measured in the region since 1996. As evidence of magma movement shallower than 10 km implies increased potential of a volcanic eruption, the Bárðarbunga aviation color code has been changed to orange. Presently there are no signs of eruption, but it cannot be excluded that the current activity will result in an explosive subglacial eruption, leading to an outburst flood (jökulhlaup) and ash emission. The situation is monitored closely.

Annoying as I'm flying out to a Greek Island next week on holiday and there's a good chance my flight could get fucked up if this thing goes up Sad

[Image: 4538945548_0a7d0b014c.jpg]

I wish it doesDevil
Good luck! Eyjafjallajokull's eruption in 2010 shutdown airports for the better part of a week stranding millions.
(August 20, 2014 at 6:54 am)Cato Wrote: Good luck! Eyjafjallajokull's eruption in 2010 shutdown airports for the better part of a week stranding millions.

And Bárðarbunga could potentially be worse. Wiki says the 15th century eruption of this volcano was one of the 25 biggest in the last few thousand years. Sub glacial too. That could make things interesting downstream in Iceland for a while.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Hopefully this won't affect my flight to Spain in 3 weeks!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Anyone who gets to go on holidays is immoral. Angry
Dammit.... going back to Portugal on Saturday... this may screw up my return trip from the UK...

So far, the skies are clear!
http://vedur2.mogt.is/grimsfjall/webcam/
Now, I don't know, I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the volcano blow.
Let me say it now,
I don't know, I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the volcano blow !!
Soooo...

When do we throw a virgin into the volcano to please the gods?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
If it messes up my trip to the USA in October I will have to write a strong letter to the pope, he has a direct line to god so it must be his responsibility to sort this kind of thing out!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White Supremicists Were Ready For Violence The Grand Nudger 15 1890 December 2, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  North Korea Now Making Missile Ready Nuclear Weapons A Theist 199 49748 August 15, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Hello, it is a volcano people! Mt Etna Brian37 18 1045 March 17, 2017 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Merkel should be ready to flee to South America mralstoner 20 3714 January 31, 2016 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: abaris
  BOOM BOOM BOOM !! Marsellus Wallace 17 3321 April 2, 2014 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace