Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is protesting getting you down?
Is protesting getting you down?
Does Participation in Social Protest Lead to Depression?

Joel Yager, MD Reviewing Ni MY et al., Am J Public Health 2017 Apr 107:593

Although most participants in the Hong Kong Occupy/Umbrella protest movement showed no subsequent psychological distress, a few suffered persistent, moderate depressive symptoms.

Although major social protests seem increasingly common, their psychological sequelae remain unclear. In a secondary analysis from a prospective epidemiological study of family health, investigators studied 1170 participants in the Occupy/Umbrella protest movement (OCUM) in Hong Kong to ascertain the long-term psychological consequences of participation. The analysis over sampled young adults (age range, 18–35), who completed baseline assessments including Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9) within 2 years before OCUM took place; follow-up assessment was conducted in 4 more waves during and up to 14 months after the 79-day protest. Extent of protest participation was gauged with various indicators (e.g., sitting down, staying overnight).

At 14 months after OCUM ended, depression trajectories were categorized as resistant (23% of participants), resilient (37%), mildly depressed (33%), or persistently moderately depressed (8%) based on PHQ-9 scores (adjusted for factors such as family harmony and support, neighborhood cohesion, self-rated health, baseline depressive symptoms, and physician-diagnosed psychiatric problems). Individuals who were older, less educated, and poorer were over represented in the persistently moderately depressed group. Overall, depressive symptom scores correlated with stressful life events, less family harmony and support, less neighborhood cohesion, poorer self-rated health, and lower baseline resilience.

Comment
This analysis (which probably over sampled healthy families) relied on self-report instruments and did not include a comparison group of nonparticipants. Nevertheless, the findings suggest that, even though OCUM did not appear to achieve its primary political goals, most participants were not significantly negatively affected. Given that potentially ineffective protests aren't likely to go away soon and that OCUM participants showing subsequent depression had less social support and more pre-existing illness, preventive interventions for at-risk protestors could be helpful.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Is protesting getting you down?
Interesting. I wonder what the possible reasons could be. I mean by definition a protest is somebody who wants change because they are unhappy enough about something enough to get out into the streets. You surround yourself with nothing like that and it could lead to depression. I've never been to a protest myself, I'm more of a riot sort of person.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Yup.

No more protesting.

Let's all get out there and riot!

I'll be behind the barricades over there...
Dying to live, living to die.
John Rosemond has some insight as to how someone might have acquired that issue . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 20, 2017 at 9:50 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Does Participation in Social Protest Lead to Depression?

Although most participants in the Hong Kong Occupy/Umbrella protest movement showed no subsequent psychological distress, a few suffered persistent, moderate depressive symptoms.

You've probably got your answer right there. Fill in "protest movement" lingo with something else, and I'll bet dollars against your doughnuts that the statement will hold true.

Offer void in Puerto Rico, Guam, and states outlawing such gambling. Doughnuts must be uneaten.

(March 27, 2017 at 7:52 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: [...] I'm more of a riot sort of person.

Dude, how many riots do they have in the outback? C'mon now ... you're more a drive around and climb some rocks kinda guy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 45863 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  I keep getting myself into shit Duke Guilmon 14 2714 August 23, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Corporal punishment down brewer 2 817 December 13, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  This Is Getting Strange Minimalist 24 4786 October 1, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Down Syndrome treatment? Incoming! Creed of Heresy 0 918 March 27, 2013 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy