Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiyah.
Hiyah.
Normally I'm the group joiner that lurks in the shadows, but Shell B told me I should post an introduction...and she also told me to join the forum to begin with...so it's all her fault... Tongue

So, here goes - I'm 25, I'm currently going to the local community college for a horticulture degree and hope to own my own nursery(possibly combined with a small book corner and coffee shop) one day. I read voraciously in all subjects (except the Twilight series), I cook and sew, I aspire to own a Jeep wrangler again one day, and amongst all the other things I grow, my babies are my 10 hybrid tea rosebushes.

The plants are pretty much the reason I'm here...someone in my synagogue made the mistake of introducing me to Spinoza when I was around 14 and got me thinking too much. At the same time, someone in school introduced me to Walt Whitman's poetry and by the time I was 18 I had gone on a "sunday school retreat" with friends into the Shenandoah Mountains and realized it was true... "A morning glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books."

Even though I don't think there's a god out there checking up on me, I still identify somewhat culturally with Judaism - it wasn't until I met my most recent ex (Baptist) that I actually got to see other holidays/religions in action (which subsequently pushed me further into non-believer status). For good or ill, I think I've been shaped by Judaism (or at least scarred by a neurotic Jewish mother).

I'm always open to book suggestions, debates, new recipes, science news of all kinds, and (unfortunately) the occasional cyber-bullying of idiots.
RE: Hiyah.
Quote:so it's all her fault.

It usually is.
Welcome! If you're into cyber-bullying idiots, you'll have plenty of fun here. Most of them don't stick around long, though... so you have to get your licks in early. Heheh!
Hello! Shock Welcome.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
welcome. Big Grin
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(September 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Normally I'm the group joiner that lurks in the shadows, but Shell B told me I should post an introduction...and she also told me to join the forum to begin with...so it's all her fault... Tongue

While lurkers can be fun, it's much cooler to have participaters. Blame me all you want! Angel

Welcome to the forums. Again, I'm happy to see you here. I'm not much into plants, but if you ever need a recipe, I have ten years professional cooking under my belt, so I'll see what I can do for you.
(September 24, 2010 at 6:42 pm)Shell B Wrote: Welcome to the forums. Again, I'm happy to see you here. I'm not much into plants, but if you ever need a recipe, I have ten years professional cooking under my belt, so I'll see what I can do for you.

Anything requiring pumpkin is MOST welcome! It's the only "sweet" my roommate allows in the house. (I've been banned from baking anything besides breads, unless it leaves the house the next morning, after an embarrassing encounter she had with a batch of peanut butter blossoms I left unattended) She also loves shrimp, which I hate but I'm willing to take tips on how to prepare it for her (just for experience's sake).
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Anything requiring pumpkin is MOST welcome! It's the only "sweet" my roommate allows in the house. (I've been banned from baking anything besides breads, unless it leaves the house the next morning, after an embarrassing encounter she had with a batch of peanut butter blossoms I left unattended) She also loves shrimp, which I hate but I'm willing to take tips on how to prepare it for her (just for experience's sake).

Incidentally, I just came across an awesome recipe for pumpkin smoothies. My pregnant cousin needed a good one. http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/18...0002.shtml

As for cooking shrimp, the best way is to either boil it briefly or saute it. If you are going to boil it, take a coffee filter and put about two tablespoons of seafood seasoning in the center then tie it off with some saran wrap (tightly). Allow that to sit in the water while it boils. Then, add the shrimp. Remove the shrimp from the water the moment it turns red. Serve it immediately. If you want it chilled for cocktail, put it in an ice bath (50 percent water to 50 percent ice) right after you take it out of the hot water. That will cool it fast to prevent overcooking. Shrimp is nasty when it's overcooked.

To saute shrimp, use a little bit of freshly chopped garlic in a saute pan with butter. Cook it on medium high, giving it a little jump every thirty seconds or so. As soon as it's red, it's done. Serve with pasta with red sauce or white sauce. If you are using a red sauce, deglaze the pan with a little red wine and add that to your sauce. C'est magnifique.
(September 24, 2010 at 6:57 pm)Shell B Wrote: To saute shrimp, use a little bit of freshly chopped garlic in a saute pan with butter. Cook it on medium high, giving it a little jump every thirty seconds or so. As soon as it's red, it's done. Serve with pasta with red sauce or white sauce. If you are using a red sauce, deglaze the pan with a little red wine and add that to your sauce. C'est magnifique.

Awesome. I'm no professional by any means, but I'm pretty quick and handy. Anything interesting you come across I'd be willing to try.
(September 24, 2010 at 6:57 pm)Shell B Wrote: Incidentally, I just came across an awesome recipe for pumpkin smoothies. My pregnant cousin needed a good one. http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/18...0002.shtml

As for dinner tonight, I'm thinking coffee-rubbed steaks, oven-fried sweet potatoes, something else (haven't gotten that far yet) and pumpkin martinis for 'dessert'.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Not meaning to spam my own articles, but this recipe for stuffed zucchini is the shit. http://www.helium.com/items/1605238-how-...e-zucchini

Oh, and this recipe for homemade ravioli. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article...tml?cat=22

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIYAH thingamajig 24 2711 October 19, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu