Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lengendary Entertainment to take a crack at Dune
Lengendary Entertainment to take a crack at Dune
This has me pretty stoked.

I've loved sci-fi all my life.  I read Dune when I was about 14 yrs old, and saw the David Lynch film in the theater when I was in high school.  Lynch's movie is not well regarded, but I liked it a lot and still watch it once a year or so.

In the 1970's Alejandro Jodorowsky, a Chilean-French director, spent several years attempting to do the film.  It's rumored that Orson Welles would have played Baron Harkonnen.  The film was ultimately abandoned when Jodorowsky was unable to get funding.  You can still find concept art done by HR Giger out on the net.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dune-r...201998001/

Quote:Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate last Thanksgiving for his iconic novel, granting the studio rights to not only films, but also TV projects on the sci-fi property

“Arrival” and “Sicario” filmmaker Denis Villeneuve is directing the movie.

Legendary has tapped veteran scribe Eric Roth to write the “Dune” reboot.

Best known for his work on Oscar fare such as “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Munich,” and “Forrest Gump,” which earned Roth his only Academy Award, this movie would mark Roth’s first foray into the world of science fiction.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
RE: Lengendary Entertainment to take a crack at Dune
Sorry I don't share your enthusiasm for the Lynch attempt, and keep in mind, there is some Lynch stuff I love, Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet spring to mind.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 5, 2017 at 11:51 pm)Kosh Wrote: This has me pretty stoked.

I've loved sci-fi all my life.  I read Dune when I was about 14 yrs old, and saw the David Lynch film in the theater when I was in high school.  Lynch's movie is not well regarded, but I liked it a lot and still watch it once a year or so.

In the 1970's Alejandro Jodorowsky, a Chilean-French director, spent several years attempting to do the film.  It's rumored that Orson Welles would have played Baron Harkonnen.  The film was ultimately abandoned when Jodorowsky was unable to get funding.  You can still find concept art done by HR Giger out on the net.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dune-r...201998001/

Quote:Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate last Thanksgiving for his iconic novel, granting the studio rights to not only films, but also TV projects on the sci-fi property

“Arrival” and “Sicario” filmmaker Denis Villeneuve is directing the movie.

Legendary has tapped veteran scribe Eric Roth to write the “Dune” reboot.

Best known for his work on Oscar fare such as “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Munich,” and “Forrest Gump,” which earned Roth his only Academy Award, this movie would mark Roth’s first foray into the world of science fiction.
 About damn time someone else did a take. It's kind of shocking to have to say the best version so far was the SciFi TV miniseries:

Admittedly, the shock mainly comes from the fact that SciFi has become Syfy and the DVD is long out of print because having something legitimately good connected to them just hurts the brand name.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Oh, joy, Another book I love is going to turned into another film I'm going to hate. *does a little jig of despair*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Compared to the David Lynch movie, the miniseries fell flat because it felt sterile and completely lacked the steampunkish retro feel and atmosphere of Dune which the Lynch movie really captured well imho. We are still lacking a well made movie that captures both the story as well as the Dune flavor, so...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

My whole issue with this is that film adaptations so rarely manage to live up to the image the book has placed in my head. The closest anything has come was 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Anything else, not so much (the worst was 'The Hobbit' series).

That being said, I can admire the craft and effort that went into a particular adaptation, but I can't shake the feeling that the film just looks wrong, somehow.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 6, 2017 at 4:30 am)Alex K Wrote: Compared to the David Lynch movie, the miniseries fell flat because it felt sterile and completely lacked the steampunkish retro feel and atmosphere of Dune which the Lynch movie really captured well imho. We are still lacking a well made movie that captures both the story as well as the Dune flavor, so...

I haven't read the book.  I really liked the mini-series.  To me it had  almost play and Shakspearean feel to it.  I had seen this first, and couldn't get into the David Lynch version.

I might need to pick up the book.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
I've watched both the TV version and the Extended Cut Lynch effort back to back and found some good and bad with both. They miss the space feudalism concept except when it comes to mojo for the characters.

And the Navigators still aren't creepy enough for me. Maybe CGI done competently will help with that.

And both missed the point of Paul's efforts to change the future. "Can I be called Paul-Maudib?" just flashes right by without further comment.
Let's see...You have political intrigue, bizzare technology that is both fantastically advanced and strangely pre-industrial, cultivated meta-human abilities and hallucinatory mutants, titanic harnessable monsters, a twisted secret society of feme fatales, multi-generational eugenics, mixed martial arts, mystery cults, and all in a cinematic landscape.

Really, its just too much, a nearly impossible Wagnerian feat, for one director to capture in even a series of several full-length films. By comparison 'Lord of the Rings' was child's play.
I'd like them to move past the first book.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big squarish dick-thing in Dune? Gawdzilla Sama 26 1412 January 10, 2024 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Rewriting scenes in "Dune". Gawdzilla Sama 26 1424 September 6, 2023 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama