Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Hitchen's birthday!
Christopher Hitchen's birthday!
[Image: Hitchens2.jpg]
RE: Christopher Hitchen's birthday!
The world is truly a lesser place without him.

The man was intelligent, witty, honest, cutting and took no prisoners.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

Just finishing up "God Is Not Great"...so thank you Christopher for helping me remember why I am an atheist.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
(April 12, 2017 at 6:32 pm)Jeanne Wrote: Just finishing up "God Is Not Great"...so thank you Christopher for helping me remember why I am an atheist.

-Jeanne

I must buy myself another copy of that book.

Mine was loaned to a guy who then took off with it.
Dying to live, living to die.
Probably a jesus freak.

Big Grin
(April 12, 2017 at 6:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Probably a jesus freak.

Big Grin

Claimed he wasn't (but we know how honest many of them are...) but moved overseas and "forgot" to return it.
Dying to live, living to die.
"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
Those words have been running through this normally passive person's mind since I committed to attending a political protest this Saturday.

Hitch lives on in more ways than one.

-Teresa
"The Portable Atheist..." is an excellent resource.

I had a copy of God is not Great... in my office for years, along with my other lunchtime reading (when I get a lunch break). A 7th day adventist tore the cover off it one day while I was not in my office. She told a bunch of people proudly that she did this. She is no longer with the company, in part, because of her proselytizing.

I miss Hitch. We need another voice like his.
[Image: christopher-hitchens-quotes.png]
(April 13, 2017 at 9:02 pm)Nanny Wrote: "The Portable Atheist..." is an excellent resource.

I had a copy of God is not Great... in my office for years, along with my other lunchtime reading (when I get a lunch break). A 7th day adventist tore the cover off it one day while I was not in my office. She told a bunch of people proudly that she did this. She is no longer with the company, in part, because of her proselytizing.

I miss Hitch. We need another voice like his.

Terrible.

I once had a coworker pull me aside and give me the whole "god will find his way into your life, I'll pray for you" speech. I do believe it was said with good intentions, so at the time I just sort of nodded and thanked him for thinking of me. Looking back though, that kind of shit is completely out of line, no matter how good the intentions behind it are. He was warned by HR several times for several different incidents, too.

Crazy part was, outside of preaching to people about religion he was a genuinely cool guy and was one of the most knowledgeable workers at that company. That kind of talk just has nothing to do with work, though and should be left out of the workplace. It's one thing if two consenting adults partake in a discussion or even debate about religion on lunch break or something. It's another thing entirely to bombard someone against their will with preachy bullshit.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone else miss Christopher Hitchens? TheMessiah 13 4269 March 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: QuarkDriven
  Christopher Hitchens Anti-theism need your help Anti-theism 2 1951 December 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens - The Anti-Theist zgregz 10 6139 May 13, 2013 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: zgregz
  [HQ] Christopher Hitchens vs Tony Blair - Religion is a forc Woody68 0 1146 May 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Woody68
  Christopher Hitchens - Last Public Appearance Woody68 0 1346 April 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm
  Christopher Hitchens - TEXAS: America Supersized (Documentary) Woody68 2 1969 April 15, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: justin
Video Christopher Hitchens - Divine Impulses | Video Woody68 0 1091 April 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm
  Christopher Hitchens | Awesome Hammer Blow! (Video) Woody68 2 1418 April 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: TromboneAtheist
  Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011) Ryft 59 26148 June 12, 2012 at 11:57 am
Last Post: hoppimike
  Request a reply to a Christian's view of Christopher Hitchens Forsaken 25 7528 December 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda