Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else miss Christopher Hitchens?
Does anyone else miss Christopher Hitchens?
He had a ferocious wit to him which I don't think many people have; Dawkins is good, as is Harris, but Hitchens was hard-hitting and he didn't pull back punches.

Listening to his debate was incredibly enlightening. I wish I met the guy.
RE: Does anyone else miss Christopher Hitchens?
(March 9, 2015 at 1:56 pm)TheMessiah Wrote: He had a ferocious wit to him which I don't think many people have; Dawkins is good, as is Harris, but Hitchens was hard-hitting and he didn't pull back punches.

Listening to his debate was incredibly enlightening. I wish I met the guy.

He was entertaining, that's for sure.
Yep, my short list of ideal dinner party guests became one person shorter when Hitchens died. He would have been a delight. I miss his wit, his easy command of the language, and his moral courage (including the courage to publicly change his mind). The man wasn't afraid to throw his balls onto the craps table when it came to the big issues.
Hitch was pretty great.

Incidentally, hello /u/theone899 from reddit.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I regularly will watch a new compilation of Hitchslap videos on Youtube.

He was acerbic, and I hated his approach sometimes, but he was a master of making people look foolish for attempting to square up to him.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Generally yes. He could roast theists with the best of them.
"The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

How can a man whose every word, whether spoken or written, was carefully and artfully planned with cutting precision, and always subjugated to the coercive authority of logic, not be missed? He was the exact opposite of the obscurantists and equivocators he relentlessly exposed.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 9, 2015 at 2:35 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Hitch was pretty great.

I figured someone would recognize my post, the sub-reddit has 2 million subs.
I do miss Hitch, but it is tempered with the knowledge that Pat Condell is still with us.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I also really loved the fact that the only 'sin' he recognized was to be boring and cliche, which meant that in his writing you'd never find an over-used catch phrase or idiom, and he'd find new brilliant ways to convey established ideas.

(March 9, 2015 at 3:27 pm)TheMessiah Wrote:
(March 9, 2015 at 2:35 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Hitch was pretty great.

I figured someone would recognize my post, the sub-reddit has 2 million subs.

I also recognized another post of yours since I used to read a bunch of Patheos stuff. I'm guessing you're the writer for the "Godless in Dixie" blog on that site.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence? Astonished 67 9076 July 20, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What do Atheists miss mostly about the 1970s Edge92 16 3664 June 4, 2021 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20783 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Christopher Hitchen's birthday! Gawdzilla Sama 9 2371 April 14, 2017 at 2:10 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4235 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
Smile Where else? Little Rik 264 32582 October 22, 2016 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Long before Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris...... Brian37 3 1740 March 25, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Critique of "God is Not Great" by Christoper Hitchens phil-lndn 74 12444 January 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 3963 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods
  One Thing I Miss About Church is.... Athene 68 13397 November 4, 2015 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue