Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America drops "largest non-nuclear bomb in history" on Afganistan
America drops "largest non-nuclear bomb in history" on Afganistan
Quote:A GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb, nicknamed MOAB, was dropped at 7 p.m. local time Thursday, the sources said.

They said the target was an ISIS tunnel and cave complex as well as personnel in the Achin district of the Nangarhar province

News Article CNN
I don't know what to think about this.  If no civilians were killed, that'd be good. It seems we just cannot get out of the middle east.  Sad
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: America drops "largest non-nuclear bomb in history" on Afganistan
Chemical explosive device, lest we be wasting neutrons . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't understand why an in air detonation bomb is being used on a tunnel/cave complex. Seems that tunnels and caves calls for bunker busters.

Maybe they had an outdoor picnic scheduled.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, they had this new toy and they were just dying to use it.........
Might be able to adjust the detonation altitude to 'tune' the concussion to the expected structural integrity/depth of the existing tunnel complex.

I'd assume bare rock excavation, there not being much in the way locally of trees for lumber shoring, or concrete/rebar for even sturdier reinforcement.

Also note, even if a tunnel does not collapse, spalling from the rock surface in a confined space can be an entirely unpleasant weapon effect too . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[Image: 1280px-MOABprototype.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_M..._Air_Blast
I'm thinking they just thought it was big enough to cave in the tunnels. Bigger is always better, amirigt?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I don't know that it's necessary to cave in the tunnels - though it would be preferable, to deny future use. I would think that overpressure and spalling would wreak havoc on the occupants.
(April 13, 2017 at 2:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't know that it's necessary to cave in the tunnels - though it would be preferable, to deny future use.  I would think that overpressure and spalling would wreak havoc on the occupants.

the spalling would seriously rip apart anyone getting caught in that blast
i say we drop 1 or 2 more to be sure.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
If it's caves and tunnels, why aren't we using exploding bats? 

Warped in bacon.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3806 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7284 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7289 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3013 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1102 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1043 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1084 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3543 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 480 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1114 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47