Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can there be an object with a relationship?
Can there be an object with a relationship?
Usually when we talk about relations and links, it involves three things: two objects that are linked, and the link between them. However, is there anything inherently implausible or contradictory about there being nothing in a universe except for an object and a link to it? In other words, can there be just a link and an object to which the link is attached?

Links and relations are, by definition, connections between two things. But why can't one of those two things be the link or relation itself?
RE: Can there be an object with a relationship?
I also enjoy LSD.

The problem is that a relation isn't a thing. So until you come up with your clever rejoinder which you seem to be setting up for, I'm going to say no, the relationship can't be one of the two things. Surprise me!
Can there be a universe with just one thing?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

"What is the sound of one hand fapping?"
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
My wife says her dildo qualifies.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Should there be a triad of things of which only two of them are things?  Why can't the not-thing be also a thing?

Let's say I have a widget, the same widget, and a doohickey. Clearly, the widget and the same widget are two things which are one thing.  These one things and the doohickey are the two things of the triad.  Looked at another way, suppose I have a doodad, a thingammy, and a nothing. The nothing is not a thing, but I still have it, so now we have a triad of two things and a nothing.

I think your turban's too tight.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So none of you are able to demonstrate that my philosophical scenario is impossible?

I don't know the answer, and that's why I'm asking.
(May 1, 2017 at 8:04 pm)TheMuslim Wrote: So none of you are able to demonstrate that my philosophical scenario is impossible?

I don't know the answer, and that's why I'm asking.

I demonstrated that it's impossible on pure semantics.  Words don't mean what you are trying to make them mean.

Unless you have some idea in which there CAN be a relationship which is also its own object, then go ahead. I'm guessing from your name. . . Allah?
Yes something can be in a relationship with itself... I think that's what is commonly known as narcissism
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 1, 2017 at 7:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: "What is the sound of one hand fapping?"

"ap". The other hand makes the "fa" sound.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1154 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why Does No One Change the Incorrect Relationship Narrative? InquiringMind 55 6736 October 7, 2016 at 1:31 am
Last Post: InquiringMind
  Are Married Men "Husbands?" How About a New Term for a New Relationship? Rhondazvous 60 9014 July 2, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The relationship between Science and Philosophy Dolorian 14 5178 October 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: HopOnPop
  Degree of love with relationship to knowledge. Mystic 1 1586 May 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: John V