Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The relationship between Science and Philosophy
The relationship between Science and Philosophy
When it comes to the relationship between Philosophy and Theology a popular way of describing this relationship is as follows:

"Philosophy is the handmaiden of Theology; Philosophy helps elucidate Theology and prevents it from falling into superstition"

But of course, we can agree that Theology is bunk, so would you agree with a similar statement but with regards to Philosophy and Science?

"Philosophy is the handmaiden of Science; Philosophy helps elucidate Science and prevents it from falling into pseudoscience"

Would you agree with that assessment? Why, why not?
RE: The relationship between Science and Philosophy
I think science is sufficient in itself but for one thing-- that it may be redefined someday. When any appeal to academic authority becomes an acceptable alternative to observation and careful experiementation, and is still called "Science," then philosophy (hopefully) will be there wagging its finger-- reminding us that there's nothing new under the sun if we aren't willing to turn over every stone.
I don't agree with it.
I certainly wouldn't displace philosophy as the handmaiden of science. Philosophy is rather the nurturing mother that allowed science to flourish, continuing to offer her wisdom and guidance. Science is the meticulous and prestigious daughter; theology is the son, a much older, poor, rambunctious, drunkard.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Theology is more the inbred, dim witted second cousin who had a lobotomy so long ago no-one remembers when
(September 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm)Dolorian Wrote: "Philosophy is the handmaiden of Science; Philosophy helps elucidate Science and prevents it from falling into pseudoscience"

Would you agree with that assessment? Why, why not?

Science and Pseudoscience are by definition non-overlapping. And philosophy is not needed either to draw the line between the two, because the general consensus amongst peers in a paticular field does that.

cheers
(September 21, 2014 at 8:06 pm)g0sU Wrote: Science and Pseudoscience are by definition non-overlapping. And philosophy is not needed either to draw the line between the two, because the general consensus amongst peers in a paticular field does that.

cheers

They are non-overlapping by definition, but they themselves are not guaranteed always to be defined as we define them now. Consensus, if made by idiots, can be the greatest enemy of truth. So-- what's the chance that idiots will never get the chance to rebrand the word "science" in dangerous and ignorant ways?

I'd say zero. When science is treated as an institution rather than a collection of carefully-chosen philosophical assumptions and positions, it will be dead. Don't believe me? Look at the American educational system.
I think it's the other way around. Philosophy is unrestrained and so weak as to be illogical at times where theology is direct and has to conform to the purpose. Philosophy helps with the mechanics. Philosophy seems to bind theology and science.
(September 21, 2014 at 10:36 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Philosophy helps with the mechanics. Philosophy seems to bind theology and science.
Only in the sense that a great ship and a makeshift raft are bound together by being enveloped by a great ocean.
I'd say that science is the whelp of philosophy.

Or, if you prefer, philosophy is the landed gentry and science is "new money", powerful but lacking perspective and class.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5473 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1427 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3601 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1156 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1605 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13005 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 355 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2638 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4933 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8252 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger