Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When and Where did the Atomic Theory Come From?
When and Where did the Atomic Theory Come From?
I've been searching for information but it's all quite confusing. Based on my reading the atomic theory was created in 465 bce. But this is 5 years before Democritus was born! I saw something about his mentor Leucippus and tried to google for him, but Epicurus said Leucippus never existed.

My own theory is that the whole concept of the atom was taken from the library at Alexandria, but the Greeks just don't want to admit that they didn't originate it.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: When and Where did the Atomic Theory Come From?
1808, England.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Ben Franklin discovering the electron.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 7, 2017 at 3:47 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I've been searching for information but it's all quite confusing. Based on my reading the atomic theory was created in 465 bce. But this is 5 years before Democritus was born! I saw something about his mentor Leucippus and tried to google for him, but Epicurus said Leucippus never existed.

My own theory is that the whole concept of the atom was taken from the library at Alexandria, but the Greeks just don't want to admit that they didn't originate it.

Maybe wrong date? I don't know.
One of the ancients declared the atom the lowest particle of matter. The new Cosmos discusses that.
(May 7, 2017 at 7:08 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of the ancients declared the atom the lowest particle of matter. The new Cosmos discusses that.

They made a good guess but did not come close enough. 1808 A.D. is the correct date. (Boru)
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Theory is, well, theory. Rutherford chipping protons from nitrogen nuclei is a hellacious confirmity.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 7, 2017 at 7:24 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Theory is, well, theory.  Rutherford chipping protons from nitrogen nuclei is a hellacious confirmity.

Atomic theory is so Bohring!

(May 7, 2017 at 7:16 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
(May 7, 2017 at 7:08 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of the ancients declared the atom the lowest particle of matter. The new Cosmos discusses that.

They made a good guess but did not come close enough. 1808 A.D. is the correct date. (Boru)

I don't think they made a good guess considering how complex an atom is. No ancient Greek ever discussed spooky action at a distance. The evidence the ancients worked with didn't explain molecules, fission, valances, protons, etc.
(May 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 7, 2017 at 7:16 pm)chimp3 Wrote: They made a good guess but did not come close enough. 1808 A.D. is the correct date. (Boru)

I don't think they made a good guess considering how complex an atom is. No ancient Greek ever discussed spooky action at a distance. The evidence the ancients worked with didn't explain molecules, fission, valances, protons, etc.
I think science was an invention of the late 16th  century. Everything before that was guesswork.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does God have in common with String Theory? LinuxGal 2 771 December 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1600 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 655 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2728 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1239 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Black Hole/Parallel Universe Theory Heat 9 3296 October 21, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Superfluid vacuum theory Psychonaut 0 1205 September 23, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Psychonaut
  Multiverse theory Heat 19 6716 September 16, 2015 at 1:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Addy Pross and the General Theory of Evolution Exian 10 4955 September 23, 2014 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Effective Field Theory Made Simple little_monkey 0 761 June 3, 2014 at 8:00 am
Last Post: little_monkey