Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Multiverse theory
Multiverse theory
(Not sure if this is the right place to post this)

I'm confused on the Multiverse Theory,

I'm assuming this is a case of me not understanding it,

I don't get how a Multiverse could exist, while space remains infinite.

If there are multiple universes, there would have to be some sort of barrier between them to distinguish one from the next. Yet at the same time, if you put a barrier of any sort on the universe, then space would no longer be infinite. I don't understand how you could have a barrier on space, yet have space continue for an unlimited amount of lightyears in any direction you choose.
RE: Multiverse theory
I would like to Raise the Question of Whether the Universe is actually Infinite.
Is the Universe Justifiably Infinite?
[Image: atheist_stereotypes_by_uchihakaito-d4yng2u.png]
(September 14, 2015 at 9:13 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: I don't get how a Multiverse could exist, while space remains infinite.

That's the paradox, isn't it? For as long as space remains infinite there's enough space to fit infinite number of universes.
If multiverses do exist, that raises hopes which means there's a universe where a version of me actually understand that theory. Tongue
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(September 14, 2015 at 10:09 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(September 14, 2015 at 9:13 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: I don't get how a Multiverse could exist, while space remains infinite.

That's the paradox, isn't it? For as long as space remains infinite there's enough space to fit infinite number of universes.
If multiverses do exist, that raises hopes which means there's a universe where a version of me actually understand that theory. Tongue

But space isn't infinite in this universe if there's a barrier between universes is there?

(September 14, 2015 at 10:03 pm)Shining_Finger Wrote: I would like to Raise the Question of Whether the Universe is actually Infinite.
Is the Universe Justifiably Infinite?

That's another topic for discussion, but most scientists assume that space is infinite, that's why i am confused on if the Multiverse theory would actually put the Infinite Space Theory(Not sure what it's called) in jeopardy.
There is always the barrier imposed by the fact that speed of light, and age of universe, is finite.   Consequently there are continuous parts of an infinite and continuous universe that is forever beyond our reach or observation.   The boundary of what we can reach or observe is not a physical limit in the universe.  It is just a limit from behind which no information will ever come to us.  

Now let's say our whole universe is truly infinite even while the part observable to us is not, and the laws of physics is not unique to specific regions of the universe.  Then somewhere in the infinite whole universe everything which is possible anywhere would not only occur somewhere, but occur an infinite number of times, spread throughout the infinite universe.  The exact configuration of all elementary particles that makes up OUR entire observable universe is clearly possible, or it, and us, wouldn't be here.   This means IF the whole universe is infinite, there must also be an infinite number of parallel sub universes within it, each an exact replicate of the entire observable universe in which we live. Further more, there would be a vastly larger, more infinite, number of regions which resemble ours to various degree, but which are not identical to ours. Hence parallel universes in and infinite continuous universe, without even invoking anything exotic like higher dimensions.
(September 14, 2015 at 10:53 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: But space isn't infinite
Ah, sure. And the world is flat, kept steady by two giant turtles.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(September 14, 2015 at 10:53 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: That's another topic for discussion, but most scientists assume that space is infinite,
Do they?
Quote:that's why i am confused on if the Multiverse theory would actually put the Infinite Space Theory(Not sure what it's called) in jeopardy.
There are different types of multiverse hypotheses, but if you are referring to the most commonly talked about one where in inflation, patches of space get randomly blown up and then drop out of inflation due to quantum fluctuations - in that one, those separate patches making up the parallel universes would be finite iirc.

Whether the whole is finite or not is probably undetermined as well.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 15, 2015 at 11:59 am)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(September 14, 2015 at 10:53 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: But space isn't infinite
Ah, sure. And the world is flat, kept steady by two giant turtles.

Are you just stupid or trolling?
Reporting your post for taking the quote completely out of context when i was simply discussing if one theory contradicted the other. 

Stop trying to be funny, on my introduction and on here making junk posts in a sarcastic attempt to humor yourself.
(September 15, 2015 at 6:37 pm)heatiosrs Wrote:
(September 15, 2015 at 11:59 am)Atheist_BG Wrote: Ah, sure. And the world is flat, kept steady by two giant turtles.

Are you just stupid or trolling?
Reporting your post for taking the quote completely out of context when i was simply discussing if one theory contradicted the other. 

Stop trying to be funny, on my introduction and on here making junk posts in a sarcastic attempt to humor yourself.

Grow some fucking skin, kid. Wink
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(September 14, 2015 at 10:53 pm)heatiosrs Wrote:
(September 14, 2015 at 10:09 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: That's the paradox, isn't it? For as long as space remains infinite there's enough space to fit infinite number of universes.

But space isn't infinite in this universe if there's a barrier between universes is there?

If there is other universes they would be in their own "bubble". That being said if the universe was a open universe into a multiverse then 
technically you could leave and go off somewhere else if you please. But as i know it the universe is a closed system in a "bubble" with no way off. 
I mean why would you want to go outside the universe to get to another there is no time or space to travel through that is saying if you manage to get out
which might be nearly impossible. And also no matter how are you travel in the universe you will eventually end up where you started given time. But hey 
we only know of the observable universe we are pretty much floating on the ass end of the galaxy and we only see so much anyways. The universe is big enough 
to were there is probably someone else like me probably a female writing this too you.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does God have in common with String Theory? LinuxGal 2 771 December 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1600 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 655 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  When and Where did the Atomic Theory Come From? Rhondazvous 29 9325 May 13, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2730 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1240 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14948 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Which of the multiple multiverse models seems most fitting to you? Whateverist 14 2609 January 7, 2016 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Black Hole/Parallel Universe Theory Heat 9 3297 October 21, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Superfluid vacuum theory Psychonaut 0 1205 September 23, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Psychonaut