Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Everyone
Hello Everyone
I'm a Catholic who probably should hang out more on Catholic forums, but another atheist board is my primary escape from it due to politics and...excessive piety?  Is that the polite way to call people "holier than thou, more Catholic than the Pope, jerks"?  I tend to enjoy a few different podcasts like God Awful Movies (I too, suffer an addiction to bad Evangelical cinema), Scathing Atheist, and The Thinking Atheist; some of the older episodes of the latter, with topics like the Satanic Panic and Harry Potter fears remind me a great deal of growing up as a Baptist, prior to leaving that faith. I'd love to say I had some grand reason for leaving it behind, but it was a series of smaller things that just snowballed; there's a long story there. Suffice to say on the short version: Assistant Pastor did a Night of the Long Knives to get himself promoted on the membership rolls, purged things like the volunteer librarian and church library (verbatim quote, "Nobody reads any more"), and skipped the wedding rehearsal of my cousin to officiate a high school football game...and that was just part of his stuff. There were contemporary vs. traditional worship wars, a woman wanting to, quite literally, burn books at a rummage sale, and being told by the worship band that prayer wasn't as important as setting up finger foods.

My username is based off of the Dune books by Frank Herbert; it always tickled my interest that the Bene Gesserit were so adept at spreading their own religious superstitions across pretty much everywhere, even into the tribes of the Fremen of Arrakis, who held on to legends despite their reverence for the sandworms. Partially also using this name, instead of another, so that folks over on a Catholic board I used to moderate, don't start messaging with certain questions.

I definitely look forward to some great discussions, some silly ones, and not having people justify everything with God.  Even over on Facebook, with Lists, it's hard at times to discuss certain more secular topics without people chiming in and waging a Crusade; looking at you cousin's Baptist minister husband who is patently unable to discuss Christianity prior to the Great Awakening in America and got upset when I posted that Intelligent Design isn't science, and got upset when I posted a link you saw that had come from Friendly Atheist, and gets upset I post things you disagree with because your kids see them and I need to censor everything because you let them use your account to play games.  Can anyone tell that we don't see eye to eye? Tongue 

Anyhow, sorry for the long post compared to other Intros I glanced through.
RE: Hello Everyone
Welcome aboard.

Good introduction and good name.

Ex-Catholic here. You'll find we're a pretty easy bunch to get along with (mostly), and we have our fair share of theists here from the fun (Catholic_Lady, come on down!) to the utterly insane (I won't need to mention names, you'll soon see who I mean).

Just a word of caution: look out for the people here from Australia: they're weird.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome Shai. I find The Scathing Atheist to be really funny. I also listen to The Kyle Kulinski Show. That's just plain awesome but Kyle sometimes goes on about how religion is silly and not correct. I don't know if that would offend you or not.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
(May 9, 2017 at 10:01 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Welcome aboard.

Good introduction and good name.

Ex-Catholic here.  You'll find we're a pretty easy bunch to get along with (mostly), and we have our fair share of theists here from the fun (Catholic_Lady, come on down!) to the utterly insane (I won't need to mention names, you'll soon see who I mean).

Just a word of caution:  look out for the people here from Australia: they're weird.

Thanks for the welcome!  I've not seen my fellow name checked Catholic yet, but um...spent about two hours lurking before registering and think I saw some of those folks you didn't mention by name.  

Know some folks who would go "oh poor Catechesis is to blame" on being an ex-Catholic, but not one of them. Smile  Usually, at least in my opinion, people tend to think such things through...at least as far as atheist ex-Catholics go.  Hope to not offend anyone, but it seems like a lot, though not all, of the Evangelical ex-Catholics I've interacted with, are all about the Feels and Woo at times.   

On the Australians...that warning seems both vague and interesting.

(May 9, 2017 at 10:05 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: Welcome Shai. I find The Scathing Atheist to be really funny. I also listen to The Kyle Kulinski Show. That's just plain awesome but Kyle sometimes goes on about how religion is silly and not correct. I don't know if that would offend you or not.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome!  Kyle's show is pretty fun for the most part, and not offended at all.  I'd be the first to agree with him sometimes.  After all, it's not a religion it's a relationship...sorry couldn't help myself, so easy to snark people who say that line seriously.  Honestly, I watched Sword in the Spirit Publishing's Gramps Goes to College recently, and it offended me way more than anything any atheist has said.
Hmmmm this one might be ok. I'll sit over here in my cynical chair for a bit and observe. Nice enough to deserve a baby carrot. Here. (Hands over the bag).

Welcome.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Hello Everyone
Hi Shai, nice to see you over here. There are quite a few people here on TTA too.

Mama, yes Shai is one of the good ones [emoji106]
Welcome!

Didn't the Bene Gesserit spread tailor-made superstitions purposefully so they could exploit them later to control local populations when needed?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Howdy, Woof.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
'Sup, Shai? Pull up a chair.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1376 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2165 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5630 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1880 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2603 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3816 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1223 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2373 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
Brick Hello to everyone Wryetui 23 4326 May 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm