Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actual fake news is literally destroying America in my opinion
Actual fake news is literally destroying America in my opinion
Recently, there was an article published by the Daily Caller about how my University is paying people to "spy" on students and to report them if they are talking anything that isn't "Liberal". Of course this was spun from this newspaper. However, I looked into this and really what the position is is a role in order to report behavior that is in line with misconduct. This sort of misconduct is stuff like sexual harassment, bullying and etc. However, the right wingers then decided to attack my Universities Facebook page by calling them communists and Hitler Youth because of this. I even asked one of these angry people who had nothing to do with my University where he heard this story from. I have been at University of Arizona for over a year and have never heard of such a thing. This guy I asked [He looked like a child molester] to provide some information on this refused to. His logic was "Why should I have to". I then explained to him that when someone makes such an idiotic statement they must be able to back it up. 

Needless to say, this moron did not have any evidence. I even googled it and the only article that came up was the Daily Caller [As i stated before].

This is so funny though. Because about a month ago there was a story about my University handing out "SJW" Manuals. These manuals apparently tell people what to do when their feelings got hurt. I personally thought this was silly. However, once again I have never heard about these. Never got any information about it from my school either. And according to the articles that were published on this, it was sent to all students. Not to mention they were apparently passing them out, but again I never once saw this! 

This is a serious issue we are having in this country. People need to realize that just because something is on the internet does not mean it's true. There is saying that if you look into the sky long enough you will see a UFO. I think it applies to this same instance, but this is more of a serious matter. Is it because they want these things to be true so the fake news gives it to them? I mean, you could google the following things: "Obama is a Muslim", or "Hillary is killing people". And you will find them! 

I really never understood why some people in the world despise America so much, and after this last election cycle I completely understand those feelings now. Americans are seriously idiots.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Actual fake news is literally destroying America in my opinion
(May 14, 2017 at 2:44 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: People need to realize that just because something is on the internet does not mean it's true.

Most people are aware of this.

The problem is when people are not reviewing the sources of the information before trusting it. How many people still fall for Onion articles and how many people still buy those ridiculous supermarket tabloids?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I don't think those news articles have the momentum or power to literally destroy America.
It sounds like they might have the power to start some annoying facebook arguments.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(May 14, 2017 at 2:53 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(May 14, 2017 at 2:44 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: People need to realize that just because something is on the internet does not mean it's true.

Most people are aware of this.

The problem is when people are not reviewing the sources of the information before trusting it.  How many people still fall for Onion articles and how many people still buy those ridiculous supermarket tabloids?

The internet is very good at targeting, so people are only seeing the things that support what they already suspect. if they suspect stupid things then the internet will present them with things that seem to back up whatever those things are.

If you watch something on you tube or face book it will lead you further and further down that path.

Only the "main stream media" is really policed and its being systematically attacked by purveyors of falsehoods, chiefly your president.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I know many of us like to joke that Fox News is Faux News.

It is not fake news so much as it is extremely biased in favor of extreme conservatism.

If any kind of news is damaging 'Murica, it is Fox News.

Which is ironic.

The Fox Network provides some great quality programs. It is only their news that is unlikable and unreliable.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote: Most people are aware of this.

But then there are Drumpfucks.
It's more than just news. Americans (many humans?) gullibility at times seems to have no bounds. If it supports a belief or is a possible explanation for something that they need an answer to, whether there is evidence or not, then it's time to hop on the train.

Don't forget to bring the blow horn.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 14, 2017 at 2:44 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: I really never understood why some people in the world despise America so much, and after this last election cycle I completely understand those feelings now. Americans are seriously idiots.

I used to be amazed about how idiots a lot of my countrymen are. Now, after brexit and after Trump winning the elections, with all the fucked up things that have been happening, I feel a bit better about my country.

Anyway, I think you're wrong about why so many people hate America. It's not the "american people" the fault. People hate America just the same as they fear and hate "the bankers", "the illuminati", the "free masons" and so on. America is the "colonial empire" which wherever it sees oil it goes to "institute democracy". I have heard many people saying that USA is no better than Russia, and USA's "so called democracy" is no better than Putin's way of governing, the only difference being that "Putin is at least honest about it."

People have always hated and feared the strongest. That's the main reason people hate America: It's not a tiny piece of territory that nobody cares about, but the greatest economical & military power on earth. If it did nothing, it wouldn't have been a problem. But it's never the case for powerful nations. And the big powerful is always "the devil", never the hero.

Think about all the poor countries in the middle east or in eastern Europe: People blame "the west" and America for everything. If people live in a corrupt country / a shithole, it's easier to blame it all on "foreigners" especially the most powerful one, than accept that they are responsible for the shitty lives that they live. That's how Soros also became a popular devil - a foreigner, an American who "meddles in the internal affairs of other nations." There are also people in my country who believe that "our good old dictator" was executed ~30 years ago because "the Americans wanted to get rid of him and pillage our country!" For some reason, those people never suspect Russia for intentions like that.

And now I'll tell one reason why I believe people now hate America even more than they did before: Donald Trump. If Obama tried to be a good example before the whole world, Trump did the opposite. If Obama tried to show America as a good and honourable nation, Trump tossed shit on everything that is USA, from people to politicians to institutions, saying how it's all rigged and shitty and dishonest and terrible, and thus giving the whole world reasons to hate and despise America. And I believe it helped Putin's propaganda that said that "America is not better than us at anything." And if Obama and Hillary are cold blooded murderers for what "they did" in Syria, Obama and Hillary represent America, so he portrayed America as the ruthless murderer. And nobody believes that Trump or Trump's America is better.

Anyway, don't overestimate the people in other nations: most people who hate America are likely not doing it from the pinnacle of human wisdom.
(May 14, 2017 at 3:06 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I know many of us like to joke that Fox News is Faux News.

It is not fake news so much as it is extremely biased in favor of extreme conservatism.

If any kind of news is damaging 'Murica, it is Fox News.

Which is ironic.

The Fox Network provides some great quality programs. It is only their news that is unlikable and unreliable.

Fox News suffers from the same problem that a lot of news media does, namely that the line between reporting news and voicing opinions is blurred.
From my point of view, I consider coverage of the Pope's visit to Portugal, for example, to be problematic. I think there should be a disclaimer during such coverage that even the existence of the deity the pope is going on about hasn't been proven after 2000 years, and the pope in Portugal is dealing with derivative derived subsidy tertiary minutia, and the big picture hasn't yet been demonstrated.

So, no, I'm not a fan of breathless enthusiastic fluffy 'news' pieces on religious subject matter.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3823 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7309 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7327 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3039 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1091 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3583 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I know I'm in the minority with this one-but this is a slippery slope in my opinion A Godzilla fan 19 1177 September 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1120 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2297 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6434 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold