Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A moral situation
A moral situation
Lately on television I have noticed an increase in favoring a particular stance.

The basic premise is having to do something wrong in order to do something right.

Is it morally ethical to do something wrong in order to ensure that something right is accomplished in the end? Would you ever do something wrong in order to do something right?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: A moral situation
This depends greatly on the 'somethings' involved...

If I have to steal a first aid kit to save a life... fine
Apparently I need to come over and pound some sense into you before you hurt yourself or others.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In Catholicism we call it "double effect."

Killing an instigator for self defense falls under this category as well. As does stealing in an emergency situation to save someone's life.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(May 22, 2017 at 12:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: In Catholicism we call it "double effect."

Killing an instigator for self defense falls under this category as well. As does stealing in an emergency situation to save someone's life.

Now I have two people to pound, sigh.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I mean, if you murder people and use them as compost for your garden, no. I mean, your plants will be great, which is right, but you'll still be a murderer.

I think these kind of moral discussions are so obvious that it baffles me we have so many on the forum. It's not that I think the discussion is stupid or are insulting you for starting it, I just don't understand how right and wrong is not just understood.
Right and wrong can be a matter of perspective as well. So I don't think there's a definite answer to your question, rather it's more situational. Ends don't always justify the means, but sometimes they do.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Kant argued that you should ALWAYS obey your moral imperatives. I think that's going too far, but I wouldn't want to start multiplying exceptions. Regardless of the motive, you are still responsible for the wrong you do.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I dont think its so much that ppl dont understand right and wrong. Its just interesting to talk about *why* certain things are right and wrong.

Quote:A person may licitly perform an action that he foresees will produce a good effect and a bad effect provided that four conditions are verified at one and the same time:

1. that the action in itself from its very object be good or at least indifferent;
2. that the good effect and not the evil effect be intended;
3. That the good effect be not produced by means of the evil effect;
4. That there be a proportionately grave reason for permitting the evil effect”

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-effect/

It seems the example of the compost doesn't fall under #1 #3 and #4, which is why we know it's not permissible. We instinctively know this when it comes to the big, obvious things like your example, but when dealing with more extreme, difficult moral situations , the list can be a helpful guideline.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
We come across the more subtle moral situations much more often than the more dire situations in day-to-day life. In my experience, it doesn't require a checklist or that much thought. Of course, that's fine as an effort in philosophy, but my gut does the job just fine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13368 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6760 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6739 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3149 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3784 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4728 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5758 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3229 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7152 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Moral Oughts Acrobat 109 7761 August 30, 2019 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Acrobat