Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Funerals
Religious Funerals
I have not been on Atheist Forums much in the past couple of months mainly because one I have been on Facebook mostly and reading an e-book and also my brother died a couple of weeks ago.

Majority of my family are Christian, I am the only atheist in this family that I know of.

I attended his funeral. Though I intellectually understand the need for funerals, both anthropologically and sociologically, on a personal level for myself I do not like attending Christian funeral services. When my uncle died about a month and a half ago, I did not attend, mainly because I do not like being around my Conservative and Republican relatives, but also I do not want to be preached to. Christian funerals are, as far as I am concerned, an excuse to proselytize people and I hate being proselytized.

All the people who came to me and gave their religious platitudes of "he is in a better place" and "he is in heaven with God" do not impress me. It only pisses me off.

So, at any rate, there it is. Another example of why rational secular people get dumped on living in a general and specific religious culture.

I am venting. Just wanted to get this off my chest. Yes my brother was a Christian, but I still loved him and I miss him. I said goodbye, in my own way, despite all the nonsense.
Angry Sad
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Religious Funerals
Add me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/wolfenstorm
Which e-book are you reading?
I'm sorry about the loss of your brother.

Good to see you, though.

I have only attended a couple of funerals in my life. It is something I do not see myself doing again at all.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Condolences.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Sincerest condolences for you loss.
Dying to live, living to die.
I have made all my family aware that I don't want a religious funeral, I have arranged what I want to happen to my remains (transplant or medical research if suitable)
The first line of the funeral plan reads "At the funeral there should be no priests, vicars, ministers, shamans, witch doctors or other peddlers of superstitious nonsense"
I have also chosen some music, ending with "Always look on the bright side of life" from Monty Python, anyone who doesn't like can stay at home - more beer for everyone else!  Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

So sorry for you loss, Elf.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
sorry to read that . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 13, 2017 at 5:02 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I have made all my family aware that I don't want a religious funeral,

That is one thing i'm a little afraid of. My family giving me some stupid religious service upon my death despite me not wanting one. Because to them its "tradition." I don't want a bunch of lies passed around by some preacher who knows nothing about my existence. Whom never gotten to know me. "I'm at some better place," my ass. There is no better place for me than right here on earth.

I'd rather my family watch my body burn to ashes.
The funeral of religion? There's a funeral I would attend. And bring enough fine scotch for a few friends as well.
Quote: Christian funerals are, as far as I am concerned, an excuse to proselytize people and I hate being proselytized.

Christian funerals are an excuse for people who don't know shit from shinola to talk about their ignorance endlessly to a group of people who are too polite to tell them to go fuck themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funerals don't have to be sad fr0d0 23 4400 May 5, 2014 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32881 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope