Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funerals don't have to be sad
Funerals don't have to be sad
Inspired by Katie's intro thread

In my church, the salvation army, funerals are a celebration. But you'd be wrong to think that no one is sad.

Ever since I saw the funeral march in Live and let Die, with the band breaking into a celebratory dance, I've thought that's the way funerals should be. Why not celebrate the good things of a life rather than just focus on the loss.

We need to acknowledge the loss, sure. The point of funerals is to deal with it and to help us move on. Baggage like extended sadness is destructive.

Quote:Yoda: Careful you must be when sensing the future Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
Anakin Skywalker: I won't let these visions come true, Master Yoda.
Yoda: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.
Anakin Skywalker: What must I do, Master Yoda?
Yoda: Train yourself to let go... of everything you fear to lose.
RE: Funerals don't have to be sad
That's how I would prefer my funeral to be. I would be more comfortable with people gathering to drink and party at one of my favorite locations, rather than gathering in some field of tombs and crying.

Then again I would be dead, so I guess I wouldn't care. Whatever makes my loved ones happy.
I know that my parents/siblings will turn my funeral into a religionfest, (and my ego cares but my rational side couldn't care less what they do) but I'd like it to be a party.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I would prefer that there be no funeral upon my death. Just burn me to ashes and spread the ashes to any wind. I want there to be no sort of gathering whatsoever.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I recall a funeral many years ago where the fundy preacher cited the deceased (28 year old friend of mine) as a negative example during the service since he died 'unrepentant', but the rest of us sinners could learn from that and escape the consequences if we would accept Jesus Christ.

During the grim fellowship time after the graveside portion of the service, his mom apologized to all of her son's disreputable and dissolute friends (me included) for the preachers remarks. She was having a very bad day as it was, it took some grit to do that and I have never forgotten it.

During the service, if looks could, in fact, kill, that preacher would have been reduced to a glowing fog of atoms, just from my stare, let alone the glares from all the others.
(May 4, 2014 at 10:41 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I recall a funeral many years ago where the fundy preacher cited the deceased (28 year old friend of mine) as a negative example during the service since he died 'unrepentant', but the rest of us sinners could learn from that and escape the consequences if we would accept Jesus Christ.

During the grim fellowship time after the graveside portion of the service, his mom apologized to all of her son's disreputable and dissolute friends (me included) for the preachers remarks. She was having a very bad day as it was, it took some grit to do that and I have never forgotten it.

During the service, if looks could, in fact, kill, that preacher would have been reduced to a glowing fog of atoms, just from my stare, let alone the glares from all the others.

Some people are sick.
I think funerals and weddings are a waste of money. You can do those things with very little money. I got married by a judge. When I die why the hell spend money on a casket I am not alive to know I am in, and cremation costs money too. I want my body donated to science. That way my family saves money and science gets to use my body for study.

Other than that, I do expect some gathering to mourn. But I would also want those who survive me to have another gathering where they give me a celebrity roast. My mom has a great quote on her computer monitor and I have the same quote on my van's visor, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
(May 4, 2014 at 11:06 am)Brian37 Wrote: "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened".

Damn stright
(May 4, 2014 at 10:41 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I recall a funeral many years ago where the fundy preacher cited the deceased (28 year old friend of mine) as a negative example during the service since he died 'unrepentant', but the rest of us sinners could learn from that and escape the consequences if we would accept Jesus Christ.

Who invited the preacher?

And why didn't anyone have the class and decorum to break some bones before throwing the preacher out?
Every time there has been a death or funeral service in my family, I've always had a wonderful day. I wouldn't describe it as giddy happiness. These days just feel more profound and real somehow. They just make me more tuned in to sights, sounds and associations that come to mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7882 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious Funerals Secular Elf 15 4589 July 2, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Just to show that the 'Murricans don't have the monopoly on christian crazy GUBU 5 1694 April 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Sad Story miaharun 10 2837 December 28, 2015 at 9:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "You Don't Have To Agree But.... freedomfromforum 17 3589 October 9, 2013 at 3:03 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  The Sad Thing Is.... Minimalist 28 6482 May 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas