Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B-17 flight
B-17 flight
Took a ride on the Madras Maiden recently and had a great time.

Plane was manufactured late in WWII and did not see combat, but was used for recon.  Apparently it is the only G model B-17 flying these days of the 10 (out of 12,000+ built) still flying.

The ride was VERY different from the B-29 experience.  After takeoff had nearly full access to interior and crawled into nose bubble, carefully traversed bomb bay catwalk, and pretended to strafe Omaha from a rather scary 50 caliber mid fuselage mounted machine gun.  

The plane is VERY industrial on the inside.  Very few (don't recall any actually) handholds and sharp edges everywhere.  And they were hard to avoid, we were around 1000' altitude and flight was rather bumpy.  Also, I'm a 6 footer, and no internal dimension of the plane seemed anywhere close to that.  

And, the plane isn't  and could never be pressurized.  Holes in fuselage for gun slits, big hole in the back for the rear landing gear, ventilation ports, and gaps in sheeting abound.  LOL, I've heard many tire screeches of planes touching down on runways, this is the first time I've smelled one.  Wow, intense burning rubber odor persisted nearly all the way back to the loading area !!!

Later on started getting a stiff neck, and then considerable aching in legs.  It was quite a work out moving around the plane and flexing to avoid cracking head open on beams and struts and plumbing fittings and cables while the plane is bouncing around vigorously, and I am running camcorder and trying to stabilize the shot too.

And while I wasn't that terrified, it was such an unusual and exciting experience, it was just physically draining.

One good surprise was, while it was noisy inside, it wasn't as loud as I expected.  I could talk with others if they were close.  During briefing they noted the turbochargers on the engines had the beneficial effect of really muffling the engine sound.

The plane seemed really fast too.  Much greater sensation of speed than the B-29, which is even more curious as the B-17 is far more difficult to look out of.

I was in rear of cockpit during takeoff, but facing backwards, and no view.  I did hold camera up and aimed out window but footage is not the best.  

I did manage to be in nose gun bubble while we flew over downtown Omaha, it was SPECTACULAR !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: B-17 flight
You have a camcorder?  :chuckles:

(on the reals though, any chance some of your footage might end up on the intertubes? especially the view from the bubble)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:It was quite a work out moving around the plane and flexing to avoid cracking head open on beams and struts and plumbing fittings and cables while the plane is bouncing around vigorously

Sounds like a United flight.
Jealous!

(June 25, 2017 at 11:32 am)Khemikal Wrote: You have a camcorder?  :chuckles:

(on the reals though, any chance some of your footage might end up on the intertubes? especially the view from the bubble)

It's high def and I like it so much that thanks to Ebay and nation's fickle taste with technology, I have 3 of them.

Also, we were advised before hand to be very careful with cell phones and tablets as gaps in fuselage can allow them if dropped to fall to the ground.  My camcorder has a nice hand strap and it's easy to maintain a firm grip.

Right tool for the job.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It has a full size HDMI jack so direct connection to any TV so equipped is easy to review unedited footage.

Also has a suite of analog output jacks for easy connection to any of my several HDD DVD recorders so super easy to make several copies (at 480 I/P) and pass out to friends.

And a USB jack I'm still trying to fathom for making Blu-rays with my laptop if I can ever get time to try.

(June 25, 2017 at 1:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: we were advised before hand to be very careful with cell phones and tablets as gaps in fuselage can allow them if dropped to fall to the ground.  

That's happened to people with the Stearman I used to give rides in. Anything small that gets dropped works its way back to the tail where it exits the plane never to return.
I had a Stearman ride last year.

Kinda scared the poo out of me . . .

(June 25, 2017 at 1:26 pm)johan Wrote:
(June 25, 2017 at 1:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: we were advised before hand to be very careful with cell phones and tablets as gaps in fuselage can allow them if dropped to fall to the ground.  

That's happened to people with the Stearman I used to give rides in. 

Lucky dog.  I've been over here trying to find an argument to present to the wife as to why we should buy an ultralight........maybe I'm aiming too low, lol?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 25, 2017 at 2:50 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(June 25, 2017 at 1:26 pm)johan Wrote: That's happened to people with the Stearman I used to give rides in. 

Lucky dog.  I've been over here trying to find an argument to present to the wife as to why we should buy an ultralight........maybe I'm aiming too low, lol?

I didn't own it, place I worked for did. The only lucky part about it I guess was that I was one of the only pilots they had with lots of tailwheel time so I got pegged to do all the tailwheel stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flight attendants arewethereyet 19 778 September 11, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Flight attendant quits in an awesome way Eilonnwy 18 5425 August 15, 2010 at 8:14 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko