Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think religion is holding society back?
Do you think religion is holding society back?
I have been watching the Alien vs Predator films lately. (I really enjoy them) But I am just sitting here thinking: I wonder if we will ever achieve that same level of technology? The other thought was that things like religion being so intertwined with our government (you know, people like Trump) will simply prevent this from ever happening. Then again perhaps that sort of technology is simply just a pipe dream, and it's simply something that Hollywood has a monopoly on.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Do you think religion is holding society back?
the Alien vs Predator films really don't have that much hight tech in them compared to Star Wars or Star Trek films.
(June 26, 2017 at 9:21 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: the Alien vs Predator films really don't have that much hight tech in them compared to Star Wars or Star Trek films.

And your point? I was simply using AvP in this post because I was watching it when this thought came into my head. This is my post, not yours.

It always has. The religious are afraid of science explaining things they have called miracles and proof of god. We are in a better place now but it's not perfect. At least now we aren't burning people that disagree.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Concerning the OP: Yes, religion holds society back.

Also, kudos for perhaps the pettiest squabble I've seen on AF. Big Grin
The question was:

"I wonder if we will ever achieve that same level of technology?"

"And your point?"

So I replied that the level of technology in the Alien vs Predator films isn't that sophisticated in comparison to other space movies.
(June 26, 2017 at 10:59 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: The question was:  

"I wonder if we will ever achieve that same level of technology?"

"And your point?"

So I replied that the level of technology in the Alien vs Predator films isn't that sophisticated  in comparison to other space movies.

So you don't consider cloaking devices sophisticated?

You clearly are more interested in trolling instead of actually contributing to the conversation.

That's not even a fucking question. It's not even the biggest indictment of religion.

But we'll run out of resources before we ever develop comparable technology. Shame, since we would need interstellar travel capability to get more, but we can't achieve that without said extra resources. Real Catch-22 we've got shoved up us.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
[Image: warhammer+geek-fight.jpg]

Geek fight!!!
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(June 26, 2017 at 11:24 am)Astonished Wrote: That's not even a fucking question. It's not even the biggest indictment of religion.

But we'll run out of resources before we ever develop comparable technology. Shame, since we would need interstellar travel capability to get more, but we can't achieve that without said extra resources. Real Catch-22 we've got shoved up us.

All I asked is if Religion is holding society back. Geezz.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 650 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4906 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1763 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2781 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2751 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6118 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Do you think aliens made us Roberto 73 11621 January 25, 2018 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Really makes you think Astonished 7 1952 September 25, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do you think that this old hag considers herself a Good Christian? NuclearEnergy 9 2600 July 22, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 18917 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79