Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone listening?
Is anyone listening?
The problem is not free speech.

I am free to state anything I want.

The problem derives from whom is or is not listening or paying attention.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Is anyone listening?
Here we go again.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Free speech - The government and state (theoratically anyway) has no right to intervene and censor what you say, unless it is deemed threatening or incitement to violence. Therefore, you should not be facing fines or jail time for your speech.

Encountering mere disagreement, disgust, mockery or being flat ignored for saying something stupid is not having your free speech blocked.

People really need to learn the difference, I'm tired of explaining this.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(July 1, 2017 at 5:04 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: The problem is not free speech.

This is a loaded start. Point of view matters and since everyone has a different point of view, clarity and ideas being definable and distinct, as to have the ability to compare it to data beyond personal bias, it seems this is just an expression of your own frustrations. Competing sides get frustrated with the other. So the real question is, what do we have beyond personal opinion that we can use to determine what facts are.

I am not myself defending free speech because I think everyone is right. I defend it for very pragmatic reasons having NOTHING to do with the people I disagree with. I think in terms of evolution. And evolution proves we are a social animal no matter what our personal bias are. We mostly as a species defend that which is local, and our parents sell us from birth. Knowing that old habits die hard, you have to pick your battles instead of projecting your own ideas on others.

The problem I see in our modern age is that we live in a quick satisfaction media. TV adds back in the 60s and 70s were 30 seconds or 60 seconds. Today TV adds can be as short as 10 seconds. We get marketed the idea that fast is good, and self entitlement, and that infects politics and religion and economic views too. The problem with our fast paced world is that our complex species as far as socializing and diversity cannot be summed up in 10, 15, 30 or 60 seconds. 

Life is simple in the reality that all 7 billion of us are the same species, with the same evolutionary ability to be cruel or compassionate. The complexities we create in artificial constructs such as religion, political views and economic views are comic book labels that describe our REAL evolutionary drive to survive which requires resources.

Our modern fast paced society globally is what causes all sides to talk past each other.
The boundary of what free speech is still eluding you. I do apologizes ahead of time for what I'm about to say. If their is gathering of any large group in a city, and they start saying hateful speech "These black people are causing our familiars are to suffer" (Insert hardship of your choosing) with no threat of is violence spoken of.Now if you add "These black people are causing our familiars are to suffer, we need to get our vengeance and cause them harm by any means necessary." We now have a major issue on our hands, and need to put a stop to this. That's the biggest difference, for the official record, I'm not a racist at all, and I hate the fact I have to say this, but there is some PC here who might accuse me of using racist language. Do you understand the difference now? Point A is fine, and point B is dangerous.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

Did you say something? You'll have to speak up.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
These noise cancelling earbuds work great!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 1, 2017 at 9:37 pm)Sterben Wrote: The boundary of what free speech is still eluding you. I do apologizes ahead of time for what I'm about to say. If their is gathering of any large group in a city, and they start saying hateful speech "These black people are causing our familiars are to suffer" (Insert hardship of your choosing) with no threat of is violence spoken of.Now if you add "These black people are causing our familiars are to suffer, we need to get our vengeance and cause them harm by any means necessary." We now have a major issue on our hands, and need to put a stop to this. That's the biggest difference, for the official record, I'm not a racist at all, and I hate the fact I have to say this, but there is some PC here who might accuse me of using racist language. Do you understand the difference now? Point A is fine, and point B is dangerous.

We have the boundaries.

1. No calls to violence.

2. No acts of violence.

But if you think stupidly it is possible for 7 billion humans will only shit rainbows and use Disney Land Mickey Mouse dialogue conversation, you are stupidly creating a utopia that will never exist.

I agree with fighting racism and bigotry, but any idea that insists on the blanket solution of "never" I will never support. The problem with humans is always POINT OF VIEW and it is a bad idea to draw lines in the sand knowing power shifts over long periods of time.

Even if people are listening, it doesn't mean that they can understand. As Brian said, we all have our biases and our points of view. People from different cultures view things differently and may not pick up on key details that you mean to convey. You may likewise be just as deaf to them as they are to you.
(July 1, 2017 at 11:23 pm)Aliza Wrote:

Even if people are listening, it doesn't mean that they can understand. As Brian said, we all have our biases and our points of view. People from different cultures view things differently and may not pick up on key details that you mean to convey. You may likewise be just as deaf to them as they are to you.

I hate the word "culture". It is no less superfluous than the words "religion", "nationality","political view" "economic view" and even "race".

It isn't a denial that conflicts exist based on those things, they do and should not be ignored. But once you accept that our collective species is out for the same thing, resources, it forces you to think globally, and not tribal. 

I only value western concepts more because they are in line more with the empathetic side of our evolution. Unfortunately force works as well in evolution as cooperation and "feel good" is not the goal. 

If humans want to extend our ride collectively as a species, our artificial labels need to get put on the back burners and replaced with the REALITY, that no matter our differences, or even how much we might hate each other, all 7 billion of us still only have the same home, and the days of expansion and conquest are long gone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Active listening within friendships Edwardo Piet 37 3308 August 1, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What music are you listening to right now? shep 2 918 March 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: shep
  What are you listening to at this moment BrokenQuill92 7 1836 February 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Sejanus
Lightbulb What are you listening to? Cyberdreams(Wink) 201 11055 January 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: InevitableCheese
  What Are You Listening To? Cosmic Ape 95 20808 March 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc