Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active listening within friendships
Active listening within friendships
I definitely think it is possible to very much overdo active listening. However I think there is a time and a place. Not everyone needs it and it isn't always helpful, but I think perhaps it is helpful at least to me, when I am applying it correctly.

This article interests me, at least certain parts of it anyway Smile

http://friendship.about.com/od/Improving...ndship.htm

Here are some sections of the article that I find especially helpful to me:

Quote:Clear out preconceived notions of what you think your friend is going to say. (This is especially important between people that have known each other a long time, because you've probably heard them talk about things a bunch of times and think you know them. To truly listen, pretend you've just met them.)

Quote:Before commenting or offering advice, determine if your friend is asking for this. (They might just want to vent and figure it out without your help.)

Quote:It's natural for friends to develop a shortcut with communication after a while, so active listening isn't done every time people talk. However, it's important not to get complacent about communicating with friends. Don't get into such a routine that when your friend really needs you to pay attention she has to ask.

Use active listening when:

You're having a lot of small disagreements. This is a sign that someone isn't paying attention.
Your friend tells you that you just don't get it.

Quote:Active Listening Lets You Understand Your Friend's Feelings

Many of the misunderstandings between friends happen when one friend is shocked that the other reacted a certain way, or had hurt feelings over something they thought was a small issue. Despite knowing our friends, there are times when we can't comprehend the way they feel. Understanding your friend's emotions behind an issue can help you decipher times when your friend is acting "out of character" (to you, at least) or has behaved in a way that is confusing to you. It helps to be self-aware so you can understand your part in things as well, or at least how you are coming off to your friend.

Of course, I am not superman so I am unable to follow this advice every time it is appropriate. But I do however think that is nevertheless good advice sometimes and I reckon that making an effort to follow it will be helpful to me.

If anyone else can relate to the article at all or these quotes from it that I have provided, or if anyone wants to leave any comments on this post whatsoever that is of course welcomed. The purpose of this thread is just for others to relate to myself and/or the article I linked and quoted from if they so wish.

Just feel free to say whatever Smile (within the rules of AF of course Smile)
RE: Active listening within friendships
What I find very useful is to paraphrase back to someone what I think they are telling me, in my own words. This shows I've been listening, it gives me the chance to see if I've understood correctly, and the other person can correct any misunderstandings.

Obviously this is something that would summarise a section of conversation, not something to do after every sentence.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that while you think active listening can be overdone, you'd also like others to read this article and offer their own opinions so that you can benefit from their thoughts?

Yes, but also so they and others can perhaps benefit from the article -- and the parts I quoted that I find helps me -- too.

So, to clarify: I agree completely except that it's not only for my own benefit Smile
You Are My Friend
lyrics Wrote:You hold my hand,
You might not say a word
But I see your tears when I show my pain

http://visionswithvoices.com/MyFriend.mp3
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
What got you thinking about this, if you don't mind sharing?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Be careful what you wish for. In most of my day to day conversations (friend or not), the other person does not want to hear my conclusions/observations of active listening. They are much more comfortable with passive listening and passive response.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
... Sorry? I, er, wasn't listening.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 23, 2016 at 3:49 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Be careful what you wish for. In most of my day to day conversations (friend or not), the other person does not want to hear my conclusions/observations of active listening. They are much more comfortable with passive listening and passive response.

I get that a lot as well (and I've been told that I'm a VERY good listener). I can usually suss out if they actually want advice or just want to yak. First (once they stop for breath), I'll ask - sincerely - 'What can I do?'. If they want advice/help, they'll generally tell me once the opening is given. If they seem to ignore my offer, I tend to let them run on until they clearly feel better and I'll try to wrap up the convo with something like, 'Good talk' or 'Glad I was here for you'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 23, 2016 at 2:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: What got you thinking about this, if you don't mind sharing?

Well I'll say this much: I think as nice of a guy I am... I'll admit I'm not always the greatest listener. Especially when I'm so excitable and rambley.

I want to work on my listening skills Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 618 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Hyper active minds purplepurpose 18 1394 November 10, 2017 at 4:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is anyone listening? Foxaèr 12 2248 July 4, 2017 at 5:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What music are you listening to right now? shep 2 918 March 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: shep
  What are you listening to at this moment BrokenQuill92 7 1837 February 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Sejanus
Lightbulb What are you listening to? Cyberdreams(Wink) 201 11273 January 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: InevitableCheese
  What Are You Listening To? Cosmic Ape 95 20812 March 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Might be a lot less active for a bit... Edwardo Piet 18 5172 October 27, 2009 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  ComputerWorld UK: GPS could collapse within a year! Kyuuketsuki 2 1829 May 22, 2009 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Giff