Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zodiac
Zodiac
I've noticed that many people's personalities are like their astrological signs describe them (myself included). Do you think this is true?
I personally don't think that it neceserally influences you, but it may, just may be factor.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Zodiac
(July 4, 2017 at 6:19 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I've noticed that many people's personalities are like their astrological signs describe them (myself included). Do you think this is true?

Perhaps in a vague, inkblot, draw your own conclusions kind of way. Can astrological forecasts be any more vague? When astrology is put to the test it fails :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy5T0YwtG4o
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(July 4, 2017 at 6:29 am)chimp3 Wrote:
(July 4, 2017 at 6:19 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I've noticed that many people's personalities are like their astrological signs describe them (myself included). Do you think this is true?

Perhaps in a vague, inkblot, draw your own conclusions kind of way. Can astrological forecasts be any more vague? When astrology is put to the test it fails :

I agree, I am pretty sure the vagueness is the key. And most people probably exhibit different personality traits at different times, so you can always see a correlation between a vague statement and a brain-state you have shared at some time. Correlation does not equal causation.
(July 4, 2017 at 6:29 am)chimp3 Wrote:

I wasn't alking about astrology in general. I just observed that many people's personalities seem to be influenced by the year period they were born in. It is something relative, they may not have all the characterisics and the way you were raised influences the personality more. Maybe the stars don't influence your personality, but the year period. I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Charlie Chaplin
The basic premise of astrology is - no offense - idiotic. The notion that the position of the planets relative to the stars at the time of my birth has any influence whatsoever on my simply isn't supportable.

We had an astrology wonk in here once who offered to tell my about myself. I gave him my time, place and date of birth and he came back later with an horoscope that was right in banal generalities like, 'You think of yourself as basically a good person' (who doesn't?) but dead wrong in every specific, such as, 'Your first wife died of a debilitating disease, possibly cancer' (kind of funny, as my first wife is clattering about in her study as I type this).

When I pointed out everything that his mumbo-jumbo got wrong, he accused me of lying because, 'Gravitational influence is never wrong.' I then explained to him that the shoes of the midwife who delivered me had a stronger gravitation attraction on me that did the planet Mars, he left in a huff. Don't think we've seen him since.

Boru

Quote:I just observed that many people's personalities seem to be influenced by the year period they were born in.

If this were the case, then twins would have similar personalities. Two of my five brothers are twins, and they couldn't be more different. Also, people born in the same year don't seem any more or less similar than people who weren't. By way of example, the following people were all born in 1970:

-Mariah Carey
-Matt Damon
-Tina Fey
-Ted Cruz
-Uma Thurman
-Jason Lee
-Simon Pegg
-Vince Vaughn
-Your Humble Narrator

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 4, 2017 at 6:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The basic premise of astrology is - no offense - idiotic.  The notion that the position of the planets relative to the stars at the time of my birth has any influence whatsoever on my simply isn't supportable.

We had an astrology wonk in here once who offered to tell my about myself.  I gave him my time, place and date of birth and he came back later with an horoscope that was right in banal generalities like, 'You think of yourself as basically a good person' (who doesn't?) but dead wrong in every specific, such as, 'Your first wife died of a debilitating disease, possibly cancer' (kind of funny, as my first wife is clattering about in her study as I type this).

When I pointed out everything that his mumbo-jumbo got wrong, he accused me of lying because, 'Gravitational influence is never wrong.'   I then explained to him that the shoes of the midwife who delivered me had a stronger gravitation attraction on me that did the planet Mars, he left in a huff.  Don't think we've seen him since.

Boru
I don't trust the Horoscope either, but I've noticed that pepole's personalities tend to be like their astrologycal signs. Maybe the position of planets doesn't influence your personality, but the year period.

(July 4, 2017 at 6:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The basic premise of astrology is - no offense - idiotic.  The notion that the position of the planets relative to the stars at the time of my birth has any influence whatsoever on my simply isn't supportable.

We had an astrology wonk in here once who offered to tell my about myself.  I gave him my time, place and date of birth and he came back later with an horoscope that was right in banal generalities like, 'You think of yourself as basically a good person' (who doesn't?) but dead wrong in every specific, such as, 'Your first wife died of a debilitating disease, possibly cancer' (kind of funny, as my first wife is clattering about in her study as I type this).

When I pointed out everything that his mumbo-jumbo got wrong, he accused me of lying because, 'Gravitational influence is never wrong.'   I then explained to him that the shoes of the midwife who delivered me had a stronger gravitation attraction on me that did the planet Mars, he left in a huff.  Don't think we've seen him since.

Boru

Quote:I just observed that many people's personalities seem to be influenced by the year period they were born in.

If this were the case, then twins would have similar personalities.  Two of my five brothers are twins, and they couldn't be more different.  Also, people born in the same year don't seem any more or less similar than people who weren't.  By way of example, the following people were all born in 1970:

-Mariah Carey
-Matt Damon
-Tina Fey
-Ted Cruz
-Uma Thurman
-Jason Lee
-Simon Pegg
-Vince Vaughn
-Your Humble Narrator

Boru
I think that the period you were born in influences your personality just a little or not at all.  The way you were raised and the way you choosed to be are more important factors. And I think that people can be different yet alike. I don't see it as a rule that applies to everyone, I see it as something relative.

Charlie Chaplin
(July 4, 2017 at 6:40 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(July 4, 2017 at 6:29 am)chimp3 Wrote: Perhaps in a vague, inkblot, draw your own conclusions kind of way. Can astrological forecasts be any more vague? When astrology is put to the test it fails :

I wasn't alking about astrology in general. I just observed that many people's personalities seem to be influenced by the year period they were born in. It is something relative, they may not have all the characterisics and the way you were raised influences the personality more. Maybe the stars don't influence your personality, but the year period. I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
That would mean I have more in common with people born in 1959 than I do with my own parents and brothers. I think you must explain in detail the characteristics of someone born in 1959. Then maybe we can discuss this.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I think it's bunk. Mariah Carey and I were born just three days apart. She is a self-absorbed, narcissistic cunt, whereas I....sorry, bad example. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 4, 2017 at 6:59 am)chimp3 Wrote:
(July 4, 2017 at 6:40 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I wasn't alking about astrology in general. I just observed that many people's personalities seem to be influenced by the year period they were born in. It is something relative, they may not have all the characterisics and the way you were raised influences the personality more. Maybe the stars don't influence your personality, but the year period. I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
That would mean I have more in common with people born in 1959 than I do with my own parents and brothers. I think you must explain in detail the characteristics of someone born in 1959. Then maybe we can discuss this.
I didn't say that the year period influences you more than the actual year or family or friends. The way you choose to be is also a factor. And I didn't say that ALL people are influenced by the year period.

Charlie Chaplin
I know the Zodiac seems to make very interesting killers.

Are you talking greek or chinese and do they match up in you? 

Would they be correct even if you hadn't known what the zodiac predicted? If you look at the traits of another sign could you also find some of those traits in yourself. Or could this be a twist of self fulfilling prophecy? Do an experiment, identify traits in a person whose zodiac you don't know, then ask their sign and compare your observations to the sign traits and see how you did. If you want to be accurate you'll need to do this multiple times. And check your observations against traits from other signs.

I guess I would be a firm nope.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.