Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I nuts? I like Jesus..:)
Am I nuts? I like Jesus..:)
To me Jesus ROCKS, for example here he is in action against the snooty priests telling them they're full of shit, so can I ask whose side atheists are on, his or the priests?

"You're like whitewashed tombs which look clean on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean" (Matt 23:27)
[Image: Jesus-v-snoots.gif]
RE: Am I nuts? I like Jesus..:)
There's no accounting for taste.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Can we pick neither? Because as nice as Jesus is in some parts of the bible, he still botched up hard in other areas. I mean, what's this about dissing his mother that one time? Did Joseph spare the rod too often with this kid? When I was growing up, and my Mom called me, I dropped everything to see what she wanted. When she was done, I asked if she needed anything else. Only then did I go hang out with my friends some more, because that's how you respect a woman who gave birth to you and raised you.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yes, you're nuts, but an acceptable nuts according to current societal standards. Falls into the tolerable nuts category.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Dropship Wrote:To me Jesus ROCKS, for example here he is in action against the snooty priests telling them they're full of shit, so can I ask whose side atheists are on, his or the priests?

I'm not sure you're not nuts, but if you are, I don't think it is for this reason. It's hard to have a real problem with Jesus when we don't know what, if anything, about him is true. Personally, I just pick out the good stuff (like the parable of the Good Samaritan) and ignore the rest.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 17, 2017 at 10:34 am)Dropship Wrote: whose side are atheists on, Jesus or the priests?
No one atheist can speak for "atheists" as we're not an ideology. We have different reasons for not believing (for example)* that Jesus was god.

Not believing in Jesus means we can't be "against" him. He's imaginary. That's our issue. Not necessarily with the plotline or character development of the mythos.

In this particular case I am rooting for the Jesus character, except that of course his performance is uneven. He might be denouncing religious assholes in one scene, and irritably cursing a fig tree for not providing him fruit, despite that it's not even the season for figs, in the next scene. He speaks favorably of love and empathy and yet doesn't denounce slavery or affirm women as something more than chattel.

At the end of the day Jesus is a product of his times, leading from behind. Nothing terribly appealing here in the 21st century.

* Remember, atheists don't JUST disbelieve in YOUR deity. By definition they don't believe in ANY deity.
Jesus is sexy.

We are referring to Mexican men named Jesus, right?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
This is the problem with hero-worship. You idealize the person and ignore their flaws; this inspires the battered spouse mentality that so many apologists adopt. Learn instead to separate the person from the lessons they may have imparted, and the content of their statements; the identity of the person saying and doing them is largely irrelevant. Religion quite backwardly doesn't realize this and we end up with the shitstorm we have on our hands now.

Let's also not forget he's not even the originator of his few good ideas so him spouting them is even more irrelevant. You get rid of the man, then you also get rid of all his bad ideas, but still get to keep the good ones because they're self-evidently useful. Otherwise you're making an argument from authority and that's moronic.

So, in a word, Yes. You're nuts. But fortunately that's not the same thing as being stupid, which is incurable. You still have hope.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
I think Jesus smells, they had no de-odourant or aftershave back (not that he would have needed it) then, and he still hasn't returned to pick any up.
(July 17, 2017 at 11:37 am)JackRussell Wrote: I think Jesus smells, they had no de-odourant or aftershave back (not that he would have needed it) then, and he still hasn't returned to pick any up.

Well we know he never washed his hands, so he probably smelled worse than most people back then.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump