Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plagiarism in the NT
Plagiarism in the NT
Entire phrases lifted from the OT and conveyed to this jesus character.

Quote:Psalm 22. 18: 'They part my garments  among them, and cast lots upon them.

Mark 15.24:   'They part his garments  among them, casting lots upon them.

Quote:Psalm 22:7-8King James Version (KJV)

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

Mark 15:29-31King James Version (KJV)

29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.
31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

Quote:Psalm 22:1-15King James Version (KJV)

22 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34King James Version (KJV)

34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Just cut and pasted bullshit by "mark".  What could they have done with a word processor?
RE: Plagiarism in the NT
(July 24, 2017 at 2:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Entire phrases lifted from the OT and conveyed to this jesus character.

Quote:Psalm 22. 18: 'They part my garments  among them, and cast lots upon them.

Mark 15.24:   'They part his garments  among them, casting lots upon them.

Quote:Psalm 22:7-8King James Version (KJV)

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

Mark 15:29-31King James Version (KJV)

29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.
31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

Quote:Psalm 22:1-15King James Version (KJV)

22 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34King James Version (KJV)

34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Just cut and pasted bullshit by "mark".  What could they have done with a word processor?

And the Hebrews stole the Yahweh character from the Canaanites. They stole the "eye for an eye" from the Code of Hammurabi. And "Let US make THEM in OUR image" was stolen from the polytheistic Ugartic Text. So while I agree the NT is a plagiarism of the OT, the Hebrews stole their ideas too.

This is not new, even Buddhism became successful by incorporating older Hindu motifs. The Rasta religion has African Jewish/Christian roots.
The Judahites were Canaanites themselves.  They borrowed their grandiose ideas for yhwh from the Zoroastrians' Ahura Mazda.
9 seconds till Road gets here and starts screaming conspiracy theory !

And starts pasting apologist links while ignoring everything you say . And cooking up derpy nonsense like dozens of needless copies of a book that would need to be destroyed or chanting "some one would have noticed "or demanding mass book burnings as if someone would admit to it .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Again,as Carrier noted, apologists are not rational people.  They are bible-thumping assholes who want only validation for their childish beliefs not evidence that has to be evaluated.
(July 24, 2017 at 3:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Judahites were Canaanites themselves.  They borrowed their grandiose ideas for yhwh from the Zoroastrians' Ahura Mazda.

In religion, it is not the same flattering form of copying that religions compete. It is about gaining power. The way to create a new religion is to steal old ideas and vilify the parts you don't want in your new motif. 

This is a first for me. While I was aware of the Jewish Canaanite connection, and also aware of the older Zoroastrians, I did not know until know that there was a connection between Jews and Zoroasters. But again, that link does not surprise me considering the proximity between the polytheism of Mesopotamia and later monotheism of the same region. 

My understanding is that the Egyptian Pharaoh Akanaton(sp) made a brief attempt at monotheism that didn't last. I do know that that Zoroastrian was even older. But none of the overlap regardless should come as a surprise considering the close proximity of  geography of North Africa, Mesopotamia and Mediterranean Europe. The potential for overlap is glaring.
Philip R. Davies wrote that it actually made perfect sense for the "Jews" who were being released from "exile" by the Persians should, in fact, copy the Persian system as much as possible.  What better way to say "Yes, sire" than to copy their god?
(July 24, 2017 at 8:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Philip R. Davies wrote that it actually made perfect sense for the "Jews" who were being released from "exile" by the Persians should, in fact, copy the Persian system as much as possible.  What better way to say "Yes, sire" than to copy their god?

It is not just Jews, that is how all new religions get started. It really is no different than Coke vs Pepsi. Pepsi comes out with a cherry flavor, and not to be outdone, even if Coke does not exist at the time, upstart employees of Pepsi split and create their own company and compete by marketing similar motifs and vilifying the aspects they don't want to continue.
(July 24, 2017 at 6:51 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: 9 seconds till Road gets here and starts screaming conspiracy theory !

And starts pasting apologist links while ignoring everything you say . And cooking up derpy nonsense like dozens of needless copies of a book that would need to be destroyed or chanting "some one would have noticed "or demanding mass book burnings as if someone would admit to it  .

I'm sorry, but your guesses are incorrect.  Also, while I may posts links, it is not normally without context, and I don't think that often.   I don't normally just link and run.  I have thought through the issue, and I'm happy to defend my position and walk through the reasoning, various options, and why I think what I do is the best choice.  I'll also examine what you have to say (the reasons and facts) if you feel obliged to do the same.

I don't think that arguments from authority, the genetic fallacy, or just throwing out arguments without thought or context is very useful.  And if you think, that I am ignoring something... call me out on it.

In regards to the OP.... he didn't really say much.  And I agree.  I have a book in my library with all the Old Testament allusions found in the New Testament.  Further many translations are riddled with footnotes, which tell you as much. I don't think it should come as a surprise to most who have studied the Bible.   Some are prophesies, some may be coincidence, and some may be re-using the language they are familiar with.  Further, the early Church often alluded to the New and Old Testaments, if not directly quoting.

(edit to add:   about the only thing I might disagree with is the title.)
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
The words placed into the mouth of your god are prophecies after the fact, coincidentally identical to other narratives, allusions from previous works of fiction....and poetic language that the authors were familiar with?

The only thing they don't seem to be, above...are the words of a god.  How did that happen?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!