Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first "conversion"!
Smile 
My first "conversion"!
I used to ask myself:
What's the point? Why do I feel the urge to persuade them? I use rhetoric and logic when I have arguments but it doesn't mean shit! I find that people who throw out their religion come to the conclusion using their own reasoning and with what information they locate on their own. Why does what I have to say mean nothing?
Then:
I have a friend who grew up Roman Catholic like me. I eventually convinced him that what he believed is irrational and he tossed out bottle of poison that he was forced to take forever! I am so happy!

I did it! My first "conversion"!

I'm just here to brag since I'm so happy Smile
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: My first "conversion"!
(October 13, 2010 at 5:26 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: I used to ask myself:
What's the point? Why do I feel the urge to persuade them? I use rhetoric and logic when I have arguments but it doesn't mean shit! I find that people who throw out their religion come to the conclusion using their own reasoning and with what information they locate on their own. Why does what I have to say mean nothing?
Then:
I have a friend who grew up Roman Catholic like me. I eventually convinced him that what he believed is irrational and he tossed out bottle of poison that he was forced to take forever! I am so happy!

I did it! My first "conversion"!

I'm just here to brag since I'm so happy Smile

It's 'De-conversion'. Wink

Congrats. I remember talking to this lovely girl online and she attacked me first because of my atheism, but after having a nice long convo with her, she opened up and said that she didn't really believe. That she always had doubt but couldn't come out clean with it because of her religious family and society. I told her to keep quiet about it because of the situation she's in.
She is young and still under parents rule, so I thought it best that she keep it quiet until she could stand independently.

It can be frustrating when debating some theists. Some are too blind and deluded to consider other ideas. Some prefer a blissful reality over a more realistic one. Most of the time, I just debate because I feel the need to challenge theists who make stupid claims and statements. I don't do it in the aim to de-convert.
Some I won't even bother to debate with.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4130 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Your first post &/or first kudos Fidel_Castronaut 80 11721 March 17, 2015 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Nope
  Disgusting. Gay Teen Conversion Camps Joel 9 1793 May 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Conversion Aegrus 17 3532 February 13, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: WitchSabrina