Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matryoshka dolls and rabbit holes...
Matryoshka dolls and rabbit holes...
One guest physicist says many worlds, one says multiverse, one even says simulation, etc
I don't think we are even close to understanding the true building blocks of our reality.

Is there any fields of science which have been understood down to their most granular level? Are we as humans able to say that with confidence about any discipline?
Biology obviously has big hurdles to overcome with the decline in the effectiveness of antibiotics, solving many diseases, etc.
I think they've got their work cut out for eternity! (somehow solving these relies on discovering some QM mysteries first?)

Cosmology. Hey, how can we know what's in the next country when we don't even know the next suburb because we haven't even left the house yet?
To go where no man has gone before! Mars! Wow, now we're moving!  hehe  (Isn't Mars on the other side of the universe or sumfin?)

QM... This is about as granular as it gets. And it's asking more questions than it's solving. Alex, do you think we are at the bottom of the rabbit hole and just arguing over minor things? Or do you think that there are many more rabbit holes right there which we haven't discovered yet?
Maybe we can never know warp drive until we discover and understand the rabbit hole nested 5 dolls deep? That really scares and depresses me... To die of old age without being witness to the next big paradigm shift in understanding our reality. I think I'm in a dead zone. At least I got to see Motorhead. Fuck it! Fuck it all!

AI ... oh, please. We're not even smart enough to create Skynet! How pathetic are we? (We were supposed to fight back in 2023!) What went wrong? Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Matryoshka dolls and rabbit holes...
(July 26, 2017 at 8:28 am)ignoramus Wrote: One guest physicist says many worlds, one says multiverse, one even says simulation, etc
I don't think we are even close to understanding the true building blocks of our reality.

Is there any fields of science which have been understood down to their most granular level? Are we as humans able to say that with confidence about any discipline?
Biology obviously has big hurdles to overcome with the decline in the effectiveness of antibiotics, solving many diseases, etc.
I think they've got their work cut out for eternity! (somehow solving these relies on discovering some QM mysteries first?)

Cosmology. Hey, how can we know what's in the next country when we don't even know the next suburb because we haven't even left the house yet?
To go where no man has gone before! Mars! Wow, now we're moving!  hehe  (Isn't Mars on the other side of the universe or sumfin?)

QM... This is about as granular as it gets. And it's asking more questions than it's solving. Alex, do you think we are at the bottom of the rabbit hole and just arguing over minor things? Or do you think that there are many more rabbit holes right there which we haven't discovered yet?
Maybe we can never know warp drive until we discover and understand the rabbit hole nested 5 dolls deep? That really scares and depresses me... To die of old age without being witness to the next big paradigm shift in understanding our reality. I think I'm in a dead zone. At least I got to see Motorhead. Fuck it! Fuck it all!

AI ... oh, please. We're not even smart enough to create Skynet! How pathetic are we? (We were supposed to fight back in 2023!) What went wrong? Dunno
I think Chemistry is about complete. The rest is the job of Quantum physicists.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Matryoshka dolls and rabbit holes...
(July 26, 2017 at 8:28 am)ignoramus Wrote: One guest physicist says many worlds, one says multiverse, one even says simulation, etc

After the discovery of Maxwell's equations and EM waves in the 1860s-80s, a famous physicist pronounced in light of these discoveries that Physics is now finished and understood. Just a few years later, relativity, quantum theory and radioactivity were discovered and a mere 20 years later the field was utterly unrecognizable.

I think we aren't close to the bottom. Quantum mechanics is too weird, and we're either in a many worlds scenario or something even stranger. We don't know anything reliable about how spacetime works fundamentally beyond rough approximations. Those are so profound that if they are answered, it will be a revolution like the one in 1900-1930.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ultra Massive Black Holes...... Brian37 55 7649 February 11, 2019 at 9:51 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  White Holes JaceDeanLove 27 5507 November 6, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: JaceDeanLove
  Interesting take on black holes. Annik 15 7449 June 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake