Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcement
Announcement
Thought I'd let you all know what's going on since I've been so spotty on the forum over the last year.

On Tuesday, July 25, I was diagnosed with two forms of breast cancer.

I had noticed a lump sort of high on my breast, almost what I would consider my chest, and went in the have it examined and what everyone thought was likely just a cyst turned out to look suspicious on imaging. On reviewing the mammogram a second suspicious site was discovered that was otherwise not palpable.

I had a biopsy and got the news last Tuesday. My doctor felt really bad about not being more concerned at my initial visit, but he ordered the imaging I needed which for me the biopsy so he did his job and probably saved my life since neither of us knew the second tumor was even there.

I'm in the early stages of talking with doctors so the only firm things I know about treatment are that I will be getting a double mastectomy, radiation treatment and, if my third biopsy of a suspicious site in my armpit goes the way my new oncologist thinks it will, probably chemo too.

So far everyone is amazed at how well I'm taking the news. I'm wondering when the big emotional crack will come for me. The prognosis, as far as I understand it now, is good, one of the cancers I have is a "good" kind and the other is the most common kind of breast cancer and had features known to respond well to certain kinds of treatment so that's good. I haven't been balling my eyes out, I've only cried a couple times but I generally feel like my baseline anxiety level had risen which is understandable... Having my sister around to joke with has been helpful but she's moving in a month so maybe that's when it will happen...

My mom was with me when I got the diagnosis and by the end of that day my dad and sisters were told and a select group at work.

I'm telling my best friend tomorrow and the rest of my coworkers on Tuesday so I'm using this post as practice of a sort in telling people since it has been a few days.

For the couple people here that I'm Facebook friends with, I would appreciate if you don't post about this there as there are still IRL friends that don't know and I don't want them to find out that way.

So... That's what's going on. Thanks for letting me get this is my chest... So to speak Tongue
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Announcement
Best wishes for a long future, C-M.
Oh my gosh CM, I am so sorry to hear this. Sad

I truly have no words... i just wanna say I wish you the best of luck, and you are such a strong person to be taking it like you are. <3
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
So sorry to hear about this.

FWIW, the small number of women I know who have had mastectomies are doing remarkably well. 5 year survival rate is 100%, remarkably few issues from the surgery, and maybe astonishing to me as a gay male, their husbands haven't pushed for reconstructed boobs. Go figure!

Now, I don't know how old you are, and keep in mind, I'm nearly 60 and the mastectomy patients I know are my age or older.

I do recall one case that went awry; she had a severe family history of breast cancer, opted for double mastectomies as a preventative measure, and then died of something completely unrelated. He husband was supportive of the mastectomy option, and cared for her at home till nearly the end. Guy was a real prince, if he'd give me the slightest particle of interest, I'd be all over him like hot fudge on a bowl of ice cream . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm not praying for you luv. I have quiet confidence in the science. You'll be right...

Please don't stress unnecessarily!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
CM, how is your family handling this?

Let me know if you ever need to talk. We can chat on Facebook message any time you want.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Stay strong and hopefully you'll get better.
So sorry to hear. Sad
Good luck with all your medical procedures <3
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I'm so so so sorry to hear this Sad
I hope everything goes well for you and that you receive all the support you can get. Please keep us updated. Maybe not often, I get it you'll have priorities, but ya know... when you can and want to.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Oh CM.... what can I say that everyone else hasn't already said? Oh... I know... give yourself a hug from me and let me know the next time you are out this way so we can do something. Wish I could be there to give you another manicure Heart

Hugs and you have my number. Text me when you're up for it.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Important Announcement! chimp3 3 752 September 22, 2016 at 1:49 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A public announcement My imaginary friend is GOD 24 5447 March 27, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie