Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are public schools really like this now?
Are public schools really like this now?
When I went to school, I basically only needed to bring a notebook and a pencil.

My boyfriend raised a woman's child, because she considered him too troublesome to raise (he was almost done with high school when I met my boyfriend) and he considers my boyfriend his father.

So my boyfriend's "son" has kids of his own.

This girl is starting her very first year of school, and the list of stuff she needs is ridiculous.

She needs baby wipes, paper towels, dry erasable pens, these items have to be a "specific" brand.

The notebooks have to be a certain color.

This is public school. Wouldn't the school normally provide such things as paper towels and baby wipes and dry erasable pens?

The only thing I can figure is that the school is depending on the parents to provide that which the school automatically should.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Are public schools really like this now?
Why are the notebooks a certain color?

All the kids have to be with the Bloods or something ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yes. I have to go shopping for these things later today, actually. Thanks for the reminder lol
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Indeed, the school is depending on the parents to provide things they cannot afford because our government sucks donkey balls when it comes to funding for education.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Why are the notebooks a certain color?

All the kids have to be with the Bloods or something ?

No silly, each color for a different subject.
OK, thanx
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think typically the teachers want a specific color and/or brand to make sure all the kids have the same things. It's tough being the only kid in your class who doesn't have the Star Wars notebook. (Or whatever it is that kids like these days I dunno)

0/10

(July 30, 2017 at 5:56 pm)Losty Wrote: I think typically the teachers want a specific color and/or brand to make sure all the kids have the same things. It's tough being the only kid in your class who doesn't have the Star Wars notebook. (Or whatever it is that kids like these days I dunno)

That's what my boyfriend was saying, which is why the parents have to provide uniforms for the kindergarteners to wear; to ensure that one poorer kid does not stand out against richer kids who are wearing brand name clothing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 30, 2017 at 5:59 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(July 30, 2017 at 5:56 pm)Losty Wrote: I think typically the teachers want a specific color and/or brand to make sure all the kids have the same things. It's tough being the only kid in your class who doesn't have the Star Wars notebook. (Or whatever it is that kids like these days I dunno)

That's what my boyfriend was saying, which is why the parents have to provide uniforms for the kindergarteners to wear; to ensure that one poorer kid does not stand out against richer kids who are wearing brand name clothing.

I would actually support that. In my class in High School, this wasn't an issue at all, not even a little. In the class above mine, there was serious mobbing going on with in and out groups based on status symbols, first and foremost brand name clothing. The difference between the two classes was just the random selection of people who ended up in each. In the grade above me, three rich arrogant dentist's and lawyer's kids was all it took to turn the whole thing toxic. Better have a uniform or at least regulated dresscode than taking that chance.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 30, 2017 at 5:59 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the concept. I understand the idea and I think to some degree it can be good. Or at least cut down on unnecessary school drama. But I also think parents need to teach their kids not to worry so much about what other kids have/don't have.

0/10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2263 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1809 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Where do you stand on breastfeeding in public? Cod 74 7607 September 4, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Pooperintendant of Schools? Minimalist 14 1510 May 4, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Men who don't flush public toilets Alexmahone 32 3043 April 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Fartbook is really ticking me off right now. Brian37 0 599 November 16, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Banning Crosses from Public Schools Shining_Finger 30 3434 November 8, 2015 at 8:27 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Your Sentiments on Breast Feeding in Public Catholic_Lady 184 25562 September 22, 2015 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Public Toilet Strategies Catholic_Lady 75 9864 July 10, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: rado84
  A public announcement My imaginary friend is GOD 24 5447 March 27, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie