Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cash for vasectomy....
Cash for vasectomy....
Drug addict takes 'cash for vasectomy'

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world...vasectomy/

What a great idea. Start with the useless, drug addicts, criminals, morally corrupt, and people with no common sense. Offer them MONEY.....now, I know this will work.

Absolutely outstanding idea. Bravo. Clap

Cat

RE: Cash for vasectomy....
I actually think it's a rather good idea. None of the people involved are getting scammed; they all know what they are getting into. According to the BBC article, the drug addict in question has stated that he "should never be a father", and that he had been thinking about it a long time.

There is no forcing of a hand here; the purpose of doing this is to ensure that less children suffer in the long run. If an addict doesn't want to get help for themselves, or cannot, the best they can do to ensure that they don't bring harm to anyone else (i.e. their potential children) is to get sterilised.

You are taking it way too far by insinuating that they plan to extend the offer to the "useless, criminals, morally corrupt, and people with no common sense". I have seen nothing in these reports that suggest they are going to do that at all. There are no direct mental / physical problems caused to babies during pregnancy if the parents are useless, criminal, morally corrupt, or lack common sense. There are direct mental / physical problems cause to babies during pregnancy if the parents are drug addicts.
How does one measure common sense anyway?
Bribing somebody to have a medical procedure carried out on them cannot be a sound basis for free consent, especially a medical procedure whose reversal is doubtful. I expect that the BMA will be looking into the ethics of this very carefully and issuing guidelines to its members not to touch this kind of arrangement with a bargepole. If there are a lot of these cases I anticipate individuals will be successfully suing the NHS in due course. There is no way that 30 days is a sufficient length of time in the life of a drug addict for them to be able to give consent at a time of extreme vulnerability. I would be amazed if this does not become a major political issue.
Yes! I agree with Adrian here. If addicts are not going to get help, it's best that they minimise the amount of harm that they cause to other people, and any children they have will be irreparably harmed by their parents' drug use. And, no, there is no indication that they will be expanding their offer to the "useless, criminal, morally corrupt, or those who just lack common sense", as much as I would enjoy the government paying the Britney Spears clan to seal the bloodline, because at least there wouldn't be more of them to taint our collective unconscious.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm)Existentialist Wrote: Bribing somebody to have a medical procedure carried out on them cannot be a sound basis for free consent, especially a medical procedure whose reversal is doubtful. I expect that the BMA will be looking into the ethics of this very carefully and issuing guidelines to its members not to touch this kind of arrangement with a bargepole. If there are a lot of these cases I anticipate individuals will be successfully suing the NHS in due course. There is no way that 30 days is a sufficient length of time in the life of a drug addict for them to be able to give consent at a time of extreme vulnerability. I would be amazed if this does not become a major political issue.

Vasectomies have been reversible for years (usually it is a glue that can easily be dissolved to open up the sperm tunnels).

Bribing? That's a strong term coming from someone who has no idea of current medical procedures. Are they being forced to do it? Is it being targeted at "undesirables" or the general populace?

My wish is that our culture does not judge people who get this operation as lesser. It's their decision not to have children.
(October 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm)Synackaon Wrote: Bribing?
Yes - bribing.
(October 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm)Existentialist Wrote:
Yes - bribing.

Because getting something for making a decision that will be economically advantageous in the near term is bribery.

While we're at it, can we call giving someone money for undertaking an action of their own free will?

Where I come from, that's work. You always have a right not to work (and they always have the right to not pay them).

Bribery is something used to coerce someone into doing a disadvantageous, immoral or illegal action.

This has nothing even close to that.
(October 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm)Existentialist Wrote: Yes - bribing.

I completely disagree. Society pays women to have children all the time and we don't call that a bribe. What's the difference between paying a drug addict to have a slew of children and paying one to make it so he cannot have children? What about clinics that offer money for sperm? Is that a bribe? Offering cookies for blood? Is that a bribe?

I don't see what the objection is. I wish a shitload of people would do this. As a person who is raising a practically absent mother's child (she has five others, three live with her and their lives are horrifying), I can tell you that this is a good idea. I hope they start doing it for women. That way I don't have to be pissed that they let neglectful mothers keep their kids anymore. They just won't have them to begin with.

Personally, I don't want any children of my own. Unfortunately, I'm not a drug addict, so I would have to pay to be sterilized.
(October 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm)Existentialist Wrote:
Yes - bribing.

The difference between a bribe and an incentive is legality.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cash on hand? onlinebiker 23 1129 September 29, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  sex with transsexuals and bigots for cash. paulpablo 51 5568 May 18, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  cash for good grades jackman 32 8339 April 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused