Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the 1960s
Back to the 1960s
I speak of the USA in the 1960s. Does anybody see the parallels? The issues aren't quite the same but the the utter chaos is. I don't know where this will end but we seem to be in a period of utter discord. In no particular order:

1. The people have elected a child in a man's body as President. This is the 2nd time in 16 years an unqualified idiot has been elected under a flawed system in which the loser of the popular vote nevertheless becomes President.

2. We have another country also led by an immature child who has access to nuclear weapons and possibly a delivery system.

3. We have a world-wide environmental crisis on our hands and idiots who are in total denial of it.

4. We have a world-wide network of religious nuts who are willing to sacrifice their own lives to cause chaos and death in the name of their insane religion.

5. We seem to be in a period where science and knowledge are scorned and stupidity is embraced.

6. The racist idiots we thought were vanquished have reemerged like cockroaches scurrying out from under the refrigerator when the lights are turned off.

I guess this shit is cyclical to a degree. We are going to go through good times and bad times. But holy fucking shit, Batman! Things sure are a mess right now. At least in the 60s we had free love, mini skirts and the Apollo program. Elon Musk and his Tesla and Space X enterprises are all I can see good in this era. In the 60s, we were making progress. Now, we have the same chaos but we seem to be moving backwards. It's an era of anti-enlightenment. I only hope this is the last gasp of the fucking dinosaur social conservatives and that people will wake up and stamp out these fucking idiots once and for all.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Back to the 1960s
But if the WLB just builds a wall everything will be hunky-dory!
(August 13, 2017 at 10:22 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I speak of the USA in the 1960s. Does anybody see the parallels? The issues aren't quite the same but the the utter chaos is. I don't know where this will end but we seem to be in a period of utter discord. In no particular order:

1. The people have elected a child in a man's body as President. This is the 2nd time in 16 years an unqualified idiot has been elected under a flawed system in which the loser of the popular vote nevertheless becomes President.

2. We have another country also led by an immature child who has access to nuclear weapons and possibly a delivery system.

3. We have a world-wide environmental crisis on our hands and idiots who are in total denial of it.

4. We have a world-wide network of religious nuts who are willing to sacrifice their own lives to cause chaos and death in the name of their insane religion.

5. We seem to be in a period where science and knowledge are scorned and stupidity is embraced.

6. The racist idiots we thought were vanquished have reemerged like cockroaches scurrying out from under the refrigerator when the lights are turned off.

I guess this shit is cyclical to a degree. We are going to go through good times and bad times. But holy fucking shit, Batman! Things sure are a mess right now. At least in the 60s we had free love, mini skirts and the Apollo program. Elon Musk and his Tesla and Space X enterprises are all I can see good in this era. In the 60s, we were making progress. Now, we have the same chaos but we seem to be moving backwards. It's an era of anti-enlightenment. I only hope this is the last gasp of the fucking dinosaur social conservatives and that people will wake up and stamp out these fucking idiots once and for all.

Unfortunately you are NOT making unwarranted parallels. But, this not only smacks of the 1960s it also smacks of WW2 Germany. 

We are going back to the age of Jim Crow and McCarthism but with the added demagoguery, hyper nationalism and scapegoating of WW2 Germany.

Hard to believe that it is 2017 in this political climate.
2017 is not so hot in a lot of the world.

[Image: nintchdbpict000334822678.jpg?strip=all&w...uality=100]

Mosul

[Image: 7371385150_6167d67fb5_z-1-629x419.jpg]

South Sudan

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7PAGeL--BQA05Da8n24d...AEP1vRuYMC]

Yemen

[Image: 6451329_1445768722.9636.png]

The Mediterranean

It goes on and we have a moron at the helm.
The 1960's had way more fun to offer! As long as you avoided the brown acid.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I was perfectly happy to be a prisoner of war during the sexual revolution!
(August 14, 2017 at 9:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I was perfectly happy to be a prisoner of war during the sexual revolution!

Handcuffs and all, eh?

(August 13, 2017 at 10:22 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I speak of the USA in the 1960s. Does anybody see the parallels? The issues aren't quite the same but the the utter chaos is. I don't know where this will end but we seem to be in a period of utter discord.

The biggest difference between now and then is we didn't elect Barry Goldwater in 64.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 15, 2017 at 7:55 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(August 13, 2017 at 10:22 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I speak of the USA in the 1960s. Does anybody see the parallels? The issues aren't quite the same but the the utter chaos is. I don't know where this will end but we seem to be in a period of utter discord.

The biggest difference between now and then is we didn't elect Barry Goldwater in 64.

Interesting way of looking at it, yeah. We elected (thanks to our flawed electoral system) a guy twice as bad as Goldwater.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(August 15, 2017 at 7:55 am)popeyespappy Wrote: The biggest difference between now and then is we didn't elect Barry Goldwater in 64.

Interesting way of looking at it, yeah. We elected (thanks to our flawed electoral system) a guy twice as bad as Goldwater.

Nixon was the last decent Republican president IMO
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]