Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not This Year, You WLB!
Not This Year, You WLB!
The Affordable Care Act fails to fail!

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/an-obama...next-year/

Quote:An Obamacare win: No ‘bare counties’ for health insurance next year

Quote:CLEVELAND - An insurer has stepped up to sell individual health insurance policies to the last county in the United States without coverage in 2018, signaling the resilience of an Obamacare market that had been forecast to fail.

We need to repeal and replace you and the rest of the republicunt bastards.
RE: Not This Year, You WLB!
(August 24, 2017 at 6:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Affordable Care Act fails to fail!

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/an-obama...next-year/

Quote:An Obamacare win: No ‘bare counties’ for health insurance next year

Quote:CLEVELAND - An insurer has stepped up to sell individual health insurance policies to the last county in the United States without coverage in 2018, signaling the resilience of an Obamacare market that had been forecast to fail.

We need to repeal and replace you and the rest of the republicunt bastards.

You said it brodda, to quote the original Steve MGGarrett "BOOK EM DANO!"
In time though. Until the medical system/industry it self is fixed, costs will continue to rise until all it can do is collapse.

http://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-b...ketplaces/

If it was so great, they wouldn't have to penalizes people for not doing it. All they have done is guarantee that hospitals and insurance companies get paid more without adjusting the cost of that $300 band aid that the hospital will charge you for.
Quote: If it was so great, they wouldn't have to penalizes people for not doing it.

You do not seem to understand how many stupid people there are in this country.  This strikes me as odd as you voted for the Orange Cunt yourself.
(August 24, 2017 at 6:55 pm)Court Jester Wrote: In time though. Until the medical system/industry it self is fixed, costs will continue to rise until all it can do is collapse.

http://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-b...ketplaces/

If it was so great, they wouldn't have to penalizes people for not doing it. All they have done is guarantee that hospitals and insurance companies get paid more without adjusting the cost of that $300 band aid that the hospital will charge you for.

As I understand it, the purpose of the penalty was to get as many folks into the pools as possible (an idea over which the US insurance companies wet their collective pants with delight).

If the ACA fails, it will be because Trump will make good on his threats to end the subsidy payments, not for any other reason.  It other words, it isn't going to fail as much as it is going to be stomped to death by a petulant six-year old.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The reason for the penalty is in part there for the same reason that we penalize uninsured drivers. Who do you think is going to pay for your care, should you get sick or injured beyond your ability to pay? Your irresponsibility has a negative effect on everyone else and IMHO you damn well are going to pay for it.

We all pay for the uninsured. The alternative is unacceptable to people with an ounce of compassion and empathy.

It's not as if we don't incentivize and penalize other anti-social behaviors.
(August 24, 2017 at 6:55 pm)Court Jester Wrote: If it was so great, they wouldn't have to penalizes people for not doing it.

This goes to the heart of the reason why the policies based on the notion that everyone acting out enlightened self-interest will result in the greatest collective good fail.

Majority of the population is impervious to being enlightened.

To mitigate this shortcoming, one must either disenfranchise the unenlightened, or penalize unenlightened behavior.
(August 24, 2017 at 6:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: If it was so great, they wouldn't have to penalizes people for not doing it.

You do not seem to understand how many stupid people there are in this country.  This strikes me as odd as you voted for the Orange Cunt yourself.

Can't argue any of the above statements, but the ACA doesn't cover the issue of affordability at all. The cost of the ACA will continue to get higher as long as the Care portion remains astronomically high and people have only a single option in there area for an insurance company they are fined for not paying. The argument is really about the surface issue. On the other hand; if people started talking about the root cause, it would be damn hard for anyone to argue. Any one.

Who could honestly disagree with or even argue... "$300 for a band aid is BULLSHIT!!! $1,200 for a catheter administer while I'm unconscious and can't agree to is BULLSHIT!!! This is a clear sign of corporate entrapment." That's a tough argument for anyone to verbalize against anyone else.

I think if any side changed their argument form "Pay for my shit" (which right or wrong IS how the opposing side hears it) to "Stop keeping us as the most expensive medical provider in the word" a lot more people would get on board with that argument and become a lot more agreeable to the idea of a healthcare system like we see in other countries.
I have one worry about this.

Every now and then, you see political issues that could easily be solved with one or two laws passed.  And given the hyperbole politicians use when talking about those issues, you'd think they'd do it in a heartbeat.  Instead, they seem to be happy letting the issue sit there, festering, so they can have something to harp on in political campaigns.  After all, an adamantly pro-life candidate loses a lot of their oomph if abortion is outlawed nationwide.  

And that's kinda what I worry Obamacare is going to be:  an issue Republicans are going to constantly bitch and moan about, but they're never going to actually try to repeal it.  Because bitching about it gets them more votes than repealing it.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(August 24, 2017 at 7:24 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The reason for the penalty is in part there for the same reason that we penalize uninsured drivers.  Who do you think is going to pay for your care, should you get sick or injured beyond your ability to pay?  Your irresponsibility has a negative effect on everyone else and IMHO you damn well are going to pay for it.

We all pay for the uninsured.  The alternative is unacceptable to people with an ounce of compassion and empathy.

It's not as if we don't incentivize and penalize other anti-social behaviors.

I pay as much for insurance as the fine would be. The only difference between me and some other people is that I pay it out of the retirement stipend I get from my former employer. So, I get half of what I could get for retirement, if I didn't buy my health insurance. I have other funds (SSA, etc), or I'd have to go and find another job. Of course, if I had open heart surgery, that ~$500k bill would be covered. People just don't get that part of it.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Have Less than One Year ZoomerTrumper 4 404 February 26, 2024 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1131 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Judge Tells The WLB to Go Fuck Himself Minimalist 0 867 October 25, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for All" plan is really expensive over a 10-year period.... Aegon 40 4580 September 22, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  No Wall? The WLB is Unhappy Minimalist 9 894 September 21, 2018 at 6:30 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  By Popular demand, a break from the WLB Brian37 5 626 August 14, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The WLB Criticized By A Republicunt Who Is Not Retiring? Minimalist 2 707 July 22, 2018 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The WLB: Not An Accidental Cunt - A Deliberate Cunt Minimalist 61 5341 June 23, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Looks Like The WLB Got Hoodwinked Minimalist 53 6049 June 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The WLB Just Can't Help Himself Minimalist 6 1003 June 9, 2018 at 5:03 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb