Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Original Starcraft... is now completely legally free.

Blizzard not only updated Starcraft to the latest patch which adds new features like an observer mode AND makes it fully compatible with modern PCs and MACs... but now anyone can play it on PC and MAC completely free. Now that they're brought out "Starcraft Remastered" (which is just the original game in high definition resolution) to buy... you can play the original completely free. It's in their classics selection now. You just go to Blizzard's site, create a Blizzard account, go to games, scroll down to classic games and click on "Starcraft Anthology" (which is just Starcraft + Starcraft: Brood War) and then ignore the "buy" button (that link is dead now) and click on "download".

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/19/15353...r-blizzard

Quote:Now’s your chance to play a piece of PC gaming history — Blizzard has released seminal strategy game StarCraft, for free, for both Windows and Mac. The full game, and its excellent expansion Brood War, can be downloaded now on the game’s official site, updated with a patch that makes the 19-year-old game easier to play on modern machines.

http://www.blizzard.com
RE: The Original Starcraft... is now completely legally free.
Sweet. This is my second favorite Blizzard game behind Diablo II.

Power... Overwhelming.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I still have the SC and BW CDs somewhere. Had a lot of fun. I have Diablo II installed but no time to play online these days. Sometimes for old times sake, just play single player. No time for games.
Where's the free download link?
Total Annihilation is free as well iirc.

I still play single-player on it sometimes. It's also supported by Steam -- my son plays it there.

I also have TA on Steam. Although I don't know of it being free anywhere... it's as good as free. It's super cheap.

Total Annihilation is definitely one of the best RTS games ever made.

(August 25, 2017 at 8:54 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Where's the free download link?

Just go to Blizzard.com, make an account, then go to games... scroll down the bottom to classic games... and select Starcraft Anthology. Ignore the buy button and click the "download" button next to it.

Alternatively just follow this for PC:
https://battle.net/download/getInstaller...=STARCRAFT

And this for MAC:

https://battle.net/download/getInstaller...=STARCRAFT

But you'll still need a Blizzard account anyway because you have to sign into Battle Net to download the game. It's all totally free though.

All you do is download the installer for the game that would normally be just the trial version... but it's the full game now. In fact, if you click on the "buy" button for Starcraft the link is broken. You can't buy it anymore you just have to download it and play it Tongue

@SteelCurtain

I think Diablo 2 is the best classic RPG ever made. Starcraft tops it for me but that's just because I'm an RTS lover.

I think Diablo 3 is fantastic too. But I do think overall Diablo 2 is a better game. I prefer how the town portal and potions and the skilling is done and stuff. But I do think Diablo 3 is fantastic too WITH REAPER OF SOULS.
(August 26, 2017 at 1:56 pm)Hammy Wrote: I also have TA on Steam. Although I don't know of it being free anywhere... it's as good as free. It's super cheap.

Total Annihilation is definitely one of the best RTS games ever made.

My son gave me a link to a free download whence I got it a few years back, with CC expansion pack and user-made units, maps, and a map-editor to make one's own maps. I'll see if I can't dig it up if anyone is interested.

Wait... legally? Lol.

I already have it on Steam and it comes with exactly that. The Core Contingency + Battle Tactics + map editor, etc. But it's well worth the small amount of money... for both single player and Multiplayer. And it runs perfectly on Windows 10.

<3 Steam.
Thanks, Hammy. I've beat AoE II to death.
How have you beat it to death? You can always play AoE2 with me sometime, I have both the original and the Steam version Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite "original" gaming song Foxaèr 18 3145 July 25, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Divinity: Original Sin Jaysyn 0 707 July 8, 2014 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Global Starcraft League Grand Final ReasonableRuben 1 1409 June 1, 2013 at 5:57 am
Last Post: ReasonableRuben
  Anyone play Starcraft 2? Mystic 6 2294 August 21, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  StarCraft II Leaked ending? *May contain spoilers* Siegetank241 7 2273 May 7, 2011 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Violet
  Starcraft 2? Sarcasm 10 2581 April 30, 2011 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Siegetank241
  Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty BETA Autumnlicious 1 1638 May 4, 2010 at 3:25 am
Last Post: omfgitsasalmon