Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB?
Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB?
If photons are the agent we're looking for, does that suggest a connection between the CMB and the em force?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB?
The cosmic microwave background consists of photons.

The peak frequency is around 160 GHz.

It is the surviving 'echo', if you will, of the flash of the Big Bang.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I have nothing to add...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 9, 2017 at 8:12 am)Alex K Wrote: I have nothing to add...

Until I ask the next question.

since the CMB is isotropic, how do scientists use it to chart the history of the universe? What do they look for?

Vorlon mentioned a peak. How can something that's isotropic have a peak?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(September 9, 2017 at 9:05 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(September 9, 2017 at 8:12 am)Alex K Wrote: I have nothing to add...

Until I ask the next question.

since the CMB is isotropic, how do scientists use it to chart the history of the universe? What do they look for?

The peak refers to the distribution of the frequency of the individual CMB photons.   CMB comes as mix of photons of all wave lengths.   But the distribution of wave lengths in the mid is not random.  It follows a particular curve closely mimicking the ideal black body curve, which sort of looks like a skewed bell curve, with the largest percentage of photos falling into a narrow frequency band around the middle, and fewer and fewer photons falling into bands on either side.  The frenquecy vor referred to is the peak frequency of the distribution. The peak frequency of CMB is the same as the peak frequency of the thermal radiation from a black body object with the temperature of 3 degrees kelvin.

Isotrophy of CMB refers to the fact that no matter which direction you look, CMB photons all have almost exactly that same distribution, peaking at the same frequency.

Also.  CMB is almost isotopic, but not quite.   There are very subtle but detectable patterns in it.   The largest pattern, which manifest in CMB being hotter in the direction of the constellation of Leo, grading systematically to being colder 180 degrees away, is  from the motion of the earth.  Other smaller patterns come from  gravitational lensing caused by massive foreground abject.   This second pattern reflects the megastructures of the universe, like superclusters of galaxies.   So this pattern provide information on how the largest gravitational megastructures evolved since The Big Bang.   But subtract these patterns out, and there are still seem to be more unevenness in the CMB not explainable by effects of foreground objects.   this remaining unevenness could be the remains of unevenness in the Big Bang itself.
(September 9, 2017 at 9:28 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(September 9, 2017 at 9:05 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Until I ask the next question.

The peak refers to the distribution of the frequency of the individual CMB photons.   CMB comes as mix of photons of all wave lengths.   But the distribution of wave lengths in the mid is not random.  It follows a particular curve closely mimicking the ideal black body curve, which sort of looks like a skewed bell curve, with the largest percentage of photos falling into a narrow frequency band around the middle, and fewer and fewer photons falling into bands on either side.  The frenquecy vor referred to is the peak frequency of the distribution.   The peak frequency of CMB is the same as the peak frequency of the thermal radiation from a black body object with the temperature of 3 degrees kelvin.

Isotrophy of CMB refers to the fact that no matter which direction you look, CMB photons all have almost exactly that same distribution, peaking at the same frequency.

Also.  CMB is almost isotopic, but not quite.   There are very subtle but detectable patterns in it.   The largest pattern, which manifest in CMB being hotter in the direction of the constellation of Leo, grading systematically to being colder 180 degrees away, is  from the motion of the earth.  Other smaller patterns come from  gravitational lensing caused by massive foreground abject.   This second pattern reflects the megastructures of the universe, like superclusters of galaxies.   So this pattern provide information on how the largest gravitational megastructures evolved since The Big Bang.   But subtract these patterns out, and there are still seem to be more unevenness in the CMB not explainable by effects of foreground objects.   this remaining unevenness could be the remains of unevenness in the Big Bang itself.

Wow! You did a great job explaining so much. If I understand you correctly, the CMB is a 3-D fractal of patterns. With photons as your particles and gravity as your agent, such a dynamic system couldn't be constantly isotropic. I can work with this. This is so kewl.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2373 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6087 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 56167 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
  Elementary Particle for Heat? Rhondazvous 21 2994 February 21, 2016 at 5:03 pm
  What Kind of Photons are Used to Create Positron-Electron Pairs? Rhondazvous 8 1366 January 24, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 974 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The CMB and the 'Axis of Evil' - evidence of God? Angrboda 12 4040 March 6, 2015 at 8:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why the Highs Boson can no longer be called the God particle... max-greece 12 2898 May 11, 2014 at 9:30 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Breaking News: Evidence for gravitational waves in the CMB! Alex K 8 3045 March 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Mach–Zehnder interferometer, Particle or Wave? little_monkey 3 1904 May 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Sal