Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Highs Boson can no longer be called the God particle...
Why the Highs Boson can no longer be called the God particle...
Because it exists!

ROFLOL
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Why the Highs Boson can no longer be called the God particle...
[Image: tumblr_m8w20fCoEf1rc07i6o1_400.jpg]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the boson observed in 2012 is still theorized to be a Higgs boson, but it still hasn't be confirmed to be a Higgs yet?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
http://www.livescience.com/27888-newfoun...higgs.html

It seems you are wrong....
  • It remains an open question, however, whether this is the Higgs boson of the Standard Model of particle physics, or possibly the lightest of several bosons predicted in some theories that go beyond the Standard Model. Finding the answer to this question will take time.

To determine if this is the Standard Model Higgs boson, the collaborations have, for example, to measure precisely the rate at which the boson decays into other particles and compare the results to the predictions. The detection of the boson is a very rare event – it takes around 1 trillion (1012) proton-proton collisions for each observed event. To characterize all of the decay modes will require much more data from the LHC.

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/20...iggs-boson
So as I thought, not yet confirmed. It's confirmed to be a boson, whether or not it's a Higgs boson is still an open question.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(May 11, 2014 at 1:59 am)Aractus Wrote:
  • It remains an open question, however, whether this is the Higgs boson of the Standard Model of particle physics, or possibly the lightest of several bosons predicted in some theories that go beyond the Standard Model. Finding the answer to this question will take time.

To determine if this is the Standard Model Higgs boson, the collaborations have, for example, to measure precisely the rate at which the boson decays into other particles and compare the results to the predictions. The detection of the boson is a very rare event – it takes around 1 trillion (1012) proton-proton collisions for each observed event. To characterize all of the decay modes will require much more data from the LHC.

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/20...iggs-boson
So as I thought, not yet confirmed. It's confirmed to be a boson, whether or not it's a Higgs boson is still an open question.

Actually I think all the remaining possible Bosons are Higgs Bosons - certainly that is the way that I read it. It appears we know its a Higgs Boson but not which Higgs Boson - although all the indications are that it is the standard model Higgs.
It was originally called the goddamned particle not the god particle.
(May 11, 2014 at 2:06 am)max-greece Wrote: Actually I think all the remaining possible Bosons are Higgs Bosons - certainly that is the way that I read it. It appears we know its a Higgs Boson but not which Higgs Boson - although all the indications are that it is the standard model Higgs.
In the standard model, yes, but if it turns out not to be one then that would mean that the SM is "incorrect"!

(May 11, 2014 at 4:09 am)Aractus Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 2:06 am)max-greece Wrote: Actually I think all the remaining possible Bosons are Higgs Bosons - certainly that is the way that I read it. It appears we know its a Higgs Boson but not which Higgs Boson - although all the indications are that it is the standard model Higgs.
In the standard model, yes, but if it turns out not to be one then that would mean that the SM is "incorrect"!

I think they refer to it as the plain vanilla standard model which could be incorrect if the Higgs turns out to be one of the more exotic variants. Again as far as I can understand all of this - and I an NOT a physicist even if its another Higgs its still the standard model but another variant of it.

As it happens the physicists appear to be all but certain it is the plain vanilla standard model Higgs and strangely they are somewhat disappointed that this is the case. Apparently they feel it was all a bit too easy. I hear Hawkins is gutted - and lost a bet on it to boot.
No, they're all but certain that it is a boson and yes if SM is correct (of course no physics model is actually "correct") then it has to be a Biggs boson, however they have not yet confirmed whether it's a Higgs boson and won't for some time. So as of now the 2012 discovery is one of a previously unobserved boson, possibly a Higgs boson.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1160 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1794 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3188 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8314 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4906 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
  Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson Rhondazvous 14 4421 June 8, 2017 at 10:15 am
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6092 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 56211 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
  A new Boson? Alex K 71 10616 March 19, 2016 at 5:09 pm
  Elementary Particle for Heat? Rhondazvous 21 2994 February 21, 2016 at 5:03 pm