Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just who are the middle class?
Just who are the middle class?
If the Democrats and Republicans can agree on one thing, it is the worth of the middle class.

Every election cycle politicians of both parties will talk about how the middle class need help, the superiority of "middle class" values etc. etc.

My question is, just what is the middle class these days? what characteristics are distinctive of the middle class?

One characteristic I know is a deadly fear of one day becoming "poor" and just enough money for some luxuries/vacation but not much.

Just who are the Middle class?

And why do they deserve so much mention but the poor do not?

On a separate note, I honestly think the Democrats, (both it's leaders and voters) have the best of both worlds.

They can alleviate their white/rich guilt by being "for" minorities and oppressed peoples by supporting black lives matter, gay marriage, and immigrant rights, yet they also get to keep most of their money and be assured the democratic platform does not include massive tax increases to actually end financial/income inequality.

The democrats can truly "have their cake and eat it too."

Unless someone like Bernie Sanders takes over, the Democrats will remain the party of the rich, limousine liberals who will occasionally throw a bone or two to the "middle class" or the diversity crowd.

Any thoughts?
RE: Just who are the middle class?
You are in the middle class if you have $5 in your wallet.
I just was hit with a ding for $500 for a medical visit earlier this year (cancer scare #3). Not sure if it's a copay they forgot to hit me with the day of, or more deductible, or if something wasn't covered or I was out of network for someone to read something off site.

Anyhow, with premium increases, copays and deductibles and whatever on my health insurance, I might not be 'middle class' by the time I'm eligible for Medicare. Especially with static commodity prices and absolutely everything else going up.

Need to find out what kind of reaming I'm getting for next years premium with the new health insurance company . . .

Hell if I know how smaller farm operations than mine are making it now. Jesus, if I had to borrow $$$$ for seed/fertilizer/chemicals/mortgage I'd be in the fucking shitter NOW.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 18, 2017 at 3:37 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: You are in the middle class if you have $5 in your wallet.

Guilty as charged. [verifies] Oh, wait, there's $6 in it. Can I still has middle class?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Well, then. I think I'll just buy me a C172 and a HondaJet right naoooo!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

(September 18, 2017 at 7:27 pm)
Quote:Fireball Wrote:
(September 18, 2017 at 3:37 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: You are in the middle class if you have $5 in your wallet.

Guilty as charged. [verifies] Oh, wait, there's $6 in it. Can I still has middle class?
It seems that you're one of those damn 1 percenters!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 990 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 349 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why do countries in the middle east allow religion to have such an influence? GODZILLA 11 1242 April 12, 2018 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Ruckus123
  The Middle East: Torture and shame WinterHold 6 1640 October 28, 2017 at 1:20 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  McCain Showed Some Class - Pence Is Just A Sleazebag Minimalist 7 1592 June 13, 2017 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can I be Trans-Race or Trans-Class? InquiringMind 41 6348 April 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2049 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Stuck In The Middle With You The Grand Nudger 14 1408 July 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Shit's Gonna Hit the Fan:" Talking to a Billionaire About Class War Pyrrho 16 4007 June 16, 2015 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The "Midldle Class" ruse in politics. Brian37 12 2257 June 3, 2015 at 11:27 am
Last Post: henryp