Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying Friends
Annoying Friends
Hello all

Ex muslim here. I was born into islam and left when i was about 18 years old (life as an atheist has been amazing by the way). 8 years later, most of my childhood friends havent had the same breakthrough I had, and are still muslim. I dont mind this and tolerate it. But two of them are super religious and constantly talk about islam and it kind of gets to me. They keep wanting me to tag along to their prayers, talk about sins and marriage in islam and how everyone non muslim is going to hell and are dumb etc etc.

Do I just cut myself off from them? Or tell them I am atheist now and have been for almost a decade, where they would probably tell all of my friends I am not muslim anymore and muslims take it very seriously when people leave for atheism (I dont blame them, I went through the same teachings[brainwashing attempts lol] as a kid so I can relate to what they must be thinking) so I dont know the outcome of this option.

Cutting myself off from them wouldnt be that bad since I have my families support, have other friends and could easily make more and start fresh etc. It's just that I would lose a large part of my childhood and memories so that's why I havent been confronting them about my lack of belief in their wild fantasies.
RE: Annoying Friends
Quote: Do I just cut myself off from them?

Yes.

When they ask why tell them because you can't stand their idiocy one second longer.  Then go have a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich and a beer and enjoy yourself.
(September 17, 2017 at 6:39 pm)SaStrike Wrote: Hello all

Ex muslim here. I was born into islam and left when i was about 18 years old (life as an atheist has been amazing by the way). 8 years later, most of my childhood friends havent had the same breakthrough I had, and are still muslim. I dont mind this and tolerate it. But two of them are super religious and constantly talk about islam and it kind of gets to me. They keep wanting me to tag along to their prayers, talk about sins and marriage in islam and how everyone non muslim is going to hell and are dumb etc etc.

Do I just cut myself off from them? Or tell them I am atheist now and have been for almost a decade, where they would probably tell all of my friends I am not muslim anymore and muslims take it very seriously when people leave for atheism (I dont blame them, I went through the same teachings[brainwashing attempts lol] as a kid so I can relate to what they must be thinking) so I dont know the outcome of this option.

Cutting myself off from them wouldnt be that bad since I have my families support, have other friends and could easily make more and start fresh etc. It's just that I would lose a large part of my childhood and memories so that's why I havent been confronting them about my lack of belief in their wild fantasies.

i believe this belongs in the introductions section, but anyway, welcome!

As for religious friends, instead of cutting them off completely, put some distance between you, cause from what I hear, in the muslim community being an atheist can be quite dangerous, so better be safe.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(September 17, 2017 at 6:39 pm)SaStrike Wrote: Hello all

Meh, I'd probably cut back on face-time with them just for being so annoying, but there's no reason to cut them out entirely, in my mind, unless they're actively proselytizing. Just keep in mind that friendships cannot rely upon old memories, but in making new ones as well.

Hello and welcome.

I had to leave my childhood behind and don't really miss it. Getting out at a young age was worse for my family than it was for friends. But I think it may be different for xtian and muslim.  

I don't know enough about your situation to give advice at this point. Will there be any negative ramifications if you tell them (more than loosing friends)? Is them wanting you to still play religious games making you that uncomfortable? Can you take a "not today" position without much impact on the friendships or other aspects of your life? Do you live in a predominantly muslim society?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 17, 2017 at 6:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Do I just cut myself off from them?

Yes.

When they ask why tell them because you can't stand their idiocy one second longer.  Then go have a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich and a beer and enjoy yourself.

I could add to your list there, but perhaps I should exercise some discretion . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It's not the Intro Forum.
Thanks for the responses and welcomes all,

I'll be moving forward and not letting their negativity impact me anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most annoying debating guy ever paulpablo 5 1746 March 20, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Muslims are starting to become annoying here Something completely different 72 30321 March 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Something completely different