Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Letter to Speaker Paul Ryan.......
Open Letter to Speaker Paul Ryan.......
Mr Ryan,

I saw your interview today on CBS This Morning. And unfortunately it is simply more smoke and mirror crap, both on taxes and race relations. I do not believe you or the GOP after decades of watching your party attack social safety nets vilifying things like social security and medicaid and medicare by using the word "entitlement". NO sir, they are TAXES we pay to insure social stability. I do not believe you when you claim you want to raise workers wages. I do not believe you when you claim you will stop big corporations from protecting profits in overseas accounts.

And, Mr Ryan, you also falsely accuse the left as being as bad as the bigots by accusing us of "identity politics'. We would LOVE nothing more than to focus on wages for all, urban, suburban and rural. But, we are not the party that vilifies and scapegoats minorities and to equate those who respond to the politics of scapegoating, as being "identity politics". That is simply another coded dog whistle tactic to equate both sides as being equal in blame.  

No Mr Ryan, we are not fooled. Neither on the issue of taxes or race relations. The right thing to do is to get back to anti monopoly concepts and regulations that protect consumers.The right thing to do is stop selling the idea that billionaires will end up on cat food if they pay more in taxes. The right thing to do is to stop accusing those standing up to bigotry of "identity politics". 

No Mr Ryan, the sane, those who value pluralism and economic stability are not going to let you pull this bait and switch garbage. We've let your party control the narrative since Reagan, and that has to stop. America is not here for the rich. America is not here to placate the insecurities of bigots or political bullies. America is here for everyone. No Mr Ryan, you will not get away with your double speak.
RE: Open Letter to Speaker Paul Ryan.......
The sane might not let him pull it.....but americans will.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 20, 2017 at 10:28 am)Khemikal Wrote: The sane might not let him pull it.....but americans will.

Wink

Um no, while far to many of a big enough minority DID fall for it, when you consider the long term direction of our country, say where it was socially when it started, and where it is now, we have ALWAYS progressed.

I will only say that Nixon's "southern strategy" influenced the GOP and they have been playing those same cards for the entire time. But, I'd say Bush Jr's crash was a wake up call, and I don't think the GOP can keep up this bullshit forever. 

I never thought I would see the day when Bush Jr would be basically telling 45 to STFU. I wish more politicians had done what McCain has back when 45 started shooting off his mouth.
His crash wa blamed on unpatriotic otherism...just as trumps crash is now being blamed on unpatriotic otherism.  

We didn't invent this scheme, Brian.  We inherited it, and it has a deep provenance.  We're no more likely to break the cycle than any before us, because it appeals deeply to fundamental components of humanity.  We've been at it, in some form or another, since recorded history..and I'm willing to bet it didn't start then either. Some things you have to find a way to stymy in spite of themselves, rather than hope for their rejection or disappearance.

For example, giving the bigots and political bullies some do nothing fools errand that appeals to their particular bigotries and yet still manages to serve the rest of us, even if only to divert their considerable enthusiasm.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 20, 2017 at 11:24 am)Khemikal Wrote: His crash wa blamed on unpatriotic otherism...just as trumps crash is now being blamed on unpatriotic otherism.  

We didn't invent this scheme, Brian.  We inherited it, and it has a deep provenance.  We're no more likely to break the cycle than any before us, because it appeals deeply to fundamental components of humanity.  We've been at it, in some form or another, since recorded history..and I'm willing to bet it didn't start then either.  Some things you have to find a way to stymy in spite of themselves, rather than hope for their rejection or disappearance.

For example, giving the bigots and political bullies some do nothing fools errand that appeals to their particular bigotries and yet still manages to serve the rest of us, even if only to divert their considerable enthusiasm.

Outside the issue of American politics, I have consistently said humans have a tendency to defend what they are used to, we think locally and have a tendency to defend that which we are accustom to. It is evolutionary to group, and we did evolve to be social.

But no sorry, that is not an excuse to ignore it "just because". You look at how our species was 10,000 years ago, vs how our pluralistic west has evolved to get past our tribalism, we can. 

We ended slavery, women have the right to vote, we ended segregation, and now gays are allowed to get married. Yes, fear will always exist, but it is not an excuse to cling to the past either.

You will never 100% get rid of our species irrational fear, and it will be a constant battle sure, but it is not one to ever be ignored. Again, we are more open than we were 200 years ago, but it was only because brave people refused to accept the status  quo.

If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves. I'd only agree that the best you can do is mitigate and keep the fear to a minimum. But isn't something you can give free reign. The politics of "otherism" when left unchecked never ends up well.

I am not talking about private citizens or no name people. I am talking about politicians in seats of power. When they start doing that, bad things follow.
Quote:We ended slavery, women have the right to vote, we ended segregation, and now gays are allowed to get married.

Give the republicunts a little time, Lad.  They will get to work on those, too.  What they feel when then see Saudi Arabia is not fear, it is envy.
(October 20, 2017 at 11:54 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:We ended slavery, women have the right to vote, we ended segregation, and now gays are allowed to get married.

Give the republicunts a little time, Lad.  They will get to work on those, too.  What they feel when then see Saudi Arabia is not fear, it is envy.

I think it is BOTH fear and envy. 

I don't even like Bibi, I think he is simply a Israeli version of 45. 

Bibi panders to his Jewish right wing like 45 panders to our Christian right wing.

Even outside the issue of politics, one thing I hate about my species, is that on the one hand we have this awesome capability WHEN we choose, to be compassionate, but when conflict arises, far too often, that given society will pick a bully to lead and call them a hero.

The best diplomats in our species history are not the ones who masturbate over the prospect of conquest, but seek all avenues of diplomacy.

Just like a doctor who is ethical, they don't seek volume to make money, they don't brag about their work, the ethical ones would prefer you not need an appointment. 

The world needs more leaders who think like that and less cult of personality worship.
I didn't say ignore it, lol..I just suggested that we distract them, like you do with a small child when they throw temper tantrums and punch the kid sitting next to them; until they calm the fuck down or pass out for nappy time.

We could send the bigots to the timeout corner to make macaroni necklaces, far away from anyone they might want to hurt. Plus, we'd get macaroni necklaces out of it. Bonus!

I mean, the other way to do it is to hold them down and let the other kid just savage the shit out of them until they realize it's not a good idea for people to do that....but I figure it;d be harder to get people onboard with option b.
(October 20, 2017 at 1:16 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I didn't say ignore it, lol..I just suggested that we distract them, like you do with a small child when they throw temper tantrums and punch the kid sitting next to them; until they calm the fuck down or pass out for nappy time.

We could send the bigots to the timeout corner to make macaroni necklaces, far away from anyone they might want to hurt.  Plus, we'd get macaroni necklaces out of it. Bonus!

I mean, the other way to do it is to hold them down and let the other kid just savage the shit out of them until they realize it's not a good idea for people to do that....but I figure it;d be harder to get people onboard with option b.

Yea, well I don't think that is possible right now. Unfortunately the orange child won using distractions and even prior to his winning the GOP went ape shit over a black guy being president.

I agree the GOP needs a nap. So does the 1% at the top. But outside that, evolution will always unfortunately produce lust for power, be it political or economic. 

It would be WONDERFUL if we could simply wrap 45 on the nose with a newspaper or give him some warm milk so he takes a nap, but not now. I don't see that working right now.

The last politician whom used his position to sell nationalism and used scapegoating as a political tactic caused the deaths of 50 million humans on all sides not to mention the deaths of 6 million Jews.

And I am tired of those saying "that cant happen here". No, it can't not overnight, but the only way it does not happen is the sane constantly counter it. 

Pluralism is never maintained by silence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Open Discussion on Russian Identity Leonardo17 10 1030 December 4, 2023 at 11:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kevin McCarthy loses 6th vote for Speaker Brian37 111 4814 January 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  An Open Letter to Congress Secular Elf 14 986 March 4, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Open borders onlinebiker 263 15520 August 14, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Paul Manafort fredd bear 21 3254 March 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Paul Krugman Called It Minimalist 38 6195 October 22, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Oops. Fucked Up Again, Paul Minimalist 2 577 May 18, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rand Paul Caves Like The Useless Shit He Is Minimalist 7 1680 April 23, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2603 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Losing respect for Rand Paul shadow 127 11387 February 4, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician