Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang
Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang
I wanted to get a picture of what happened during the big bang, so I was reading the 5th chapter of Isaac Asimov's nonfiction book How Did We Find Out About the Universe.

He starts with something called the Cosmic Egg and goes on to say that this egg exploded and a Russian American physicist dubbed the explosion big bang.

This is astronomically opposed to what I've learned so far from the Knochel-Hawking school of cosmology.

This book was written in 1983. So at what point did scientists postulate that the beg bang was not an explosion, and what led them to this postulation?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang
(October 31, 2017 at 8:48 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: I wanted to get a picture of what happened during the big bang, so I was reading the 5th chapter of Isaac Asimov's nonfiction book How Did We Find Out About the Universe.

He starts with something called the Cosmic Egg and goes on to say that this egg exploded and a Russian American physicist dubbed the explosion big bang.

This is astronomically opposed to what I've learned so far from the Knochel-Hawking school of cosmology.

This book was written in 1983. So at what point  did scientists postulate that the beg bang was not an explosion, and what led them to this postulation?

Rhonda, are you in school for physics, or doing self-study?  If you are teaching yourself astrophysics, then holy shit, you're amazing!  👍
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Actually it was Sir Fred Hoyle who coined the epithet Big Bang, or at least popularised it, in a BBC interview. Hoyle was a firm proponent of the Steady State model and because the new model lacked supporting evidence at the time, as well as not being as explanatory as the prevailing one, he was trying to discredit through mockery.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 31, 2017 at 9:01 am)Cyberman Wrote: Actually it was Sir Fred Hoyle who coined the epithet Big Bang, or at least popularised it, in a BBC interview. Hoyle was a firm proponent of the Steady State model and because the new model lacked supporting evidence at the time, as well as not being as explanatory as the prevailing one, he was trying to discredit through mockery.

Well, that backfired!  (pun intended)
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Didn't it just?

Incidentally, the Big Bang was an explosion in the same sense as a Baby Boom. Hilarious though the image is of detonating infants.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 31, 2017 at 8:58 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Rhonda, are you in school for physics, or doing self-study?  If you are teaching yourself astrophysics, then holy shit, you're amazing!  👍

Ha ha! No, I'm a fiction author. I don't remember why I first got interested in quantum physics, but when I found out there's something scientists call the quantum realm, I knew I had to write a novel about it. Last year Alex K helped me authenticate the names and behaviors of elementary particles and I wrote a novel where this kid gets trapped in the quantum realm.

Now I'm writing the sequel where another kid gets trapped in the cosmic microwave background. Alex, vorlon, Brew and a few other cats are helping me with the facts.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(October 31, 2017 at 10:17 am)Cyberman Wrote: Didn't it just?

Incidentally, the Big Bang was an explosion in the same sense as a Baby Boom. Hilarious though the image is of detonating  infants.

I've seen cartoon of women "going for best distance" in the delivery room.  Big Grin
Verse 1 is pertinent here.

(Incidentally, I still have the original vinyl album.)
(October 31, 2017 at 11:01 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(October 31, 2017 at 10:17 am)Cyberman Wrote: Didn't it just?

Incidentally, the Big Bang was an explosion in the same sense as a Baby Boom. Hilarious though the image is of detonating  infants.

I've seen cartoon of women "going for best distance" in the delivery room.  Big Grin

I've advocated more than once here of using cardio shock paddles to assist women delivering babies.

Instead of hours of contractions, just one BIG one.

And that fetus is going to ricochet off the walls.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 31, 2017 at 4:46 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(October 31, 2017 at 11:01 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I've seen cartoon of women "going for best distance" in the delivery room.  Big Grin

I've advocated more than once here of using cardio shock paddles to assist women delivering babies.

Instead of hours of contractions, just one BIG one.

And that fetus is going to ricochet off the walls.

Where's Larson when we need him?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3704 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2474 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Big Bang and QM bennyboy 1 615 September 10, 2017 at 4:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How big is the universe? Rhondazvous 77 11872 August 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1596 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 653 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  The Science of the Big Bang RiddledWithFear 13 2288 December 7, 2016 at 10:47 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
Smile "Science of the Big Bang" Rough Draft and Secondary Draft RiddledWithFear 4 1656 December 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Is there a "Science of the Big Bang" thread on Here? RiddledWithFear 30 4267 December 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What to say when somebody asks about the big bang zak 111 10641 November 15, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda