Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big
If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big
That would be so cool. Scientists say there's not enough mass for the expansion to stop so the universe will just keep expanding. But now, if the universe is in a false vacuum then it has a built in fail safe a gainst infinite expansion.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big
(November 4, 2017 at 1:43 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: That would be so cool. Scientists say there's not enough mass for the expansion to stop so the universe will just keep expanding.  But now, if the universe is in a false vacuum then it has a built in fail safe a gainst infinite expansion.

Why are you worried about infinite expansion?
RE: If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big
(November 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(November 4, 2017 at 1:43 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: That would be so cool. Scientists say there's not enough mass for the expansion to stop so the universe will just keep expanding.  But now, if the universe is in a false vacuum then it has a built in fail safe a gainst infinite expansion.

Why are you worried about infinite expansion?

Because the Higgs Abyss may tie into the novel I'm writing, so I want to explore the possibilities.

My uncle told me to shoot for the moon, that way if I miss I'll hit the stars. I'm taking him literally (literature, get it? heheheBig Grin ).
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(November 4, 2017 at 3:43 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(November 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Why are you worried about infinite expansion?

Because the Higgs Abyss may tie into the novel I'm writing, so I want to explore the possibilities.

My uncle told me to shoot for the moon, that way if I miss I'll hit the stars. I'm taking him literally (literature, get it? heheheBig Grin ).

I don't think "all this" is that complicated.  I think it is a infinite cycle between on and off, between nothing to something then run out of energy to become quantum food for a new season. I don't think however, there is a magic man behind any of this, nor even the si fi version where there is a cognitive programmer.

No different to me than when a tree drops an acorn, where most imply rot and do nothing, where others do end up leading to a future tree. 

I see life as a temporary blip no matter if science proves something coming out of nothing, or nothing having something prior. 

I'd call all this more like a gigantic light switch that goes between off to on back to off then back to on over and over. But our biological cognition, is finite, and I wont waver on that part.
(November 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Why are you worried about infinite expansion?

Oh, very well then. Have you read Tau Zero?
I've read Tau Zero. Old sci-fi is still the best. :-)

I read somewhere that this infinite expansion would stretch the smallest building blocks of information so far that the laws of the universe would cease and everything would fall apart.

I once shot for a moon and before I knew it all I saw was stars.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Rhonda, until we find out a bit more of the 2 place holders called Dark energy/matter, it's really just speculation...

Maybe an enlightened theist can chime in?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 4, 2017 at 9:51 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Rhonda,  until we find out a bit more of the 2 place holders called Dark energy/matter, it's really just speculation...

Maybe an enlightened theist can chime in?
Oh please don't invite the theists in. We know what the higgs they'll say. There's no dark energy. God did it.

--Voltaire

I was always under the impression that the universe was in a cycle of big bang, collapsing back into a singularity, and then having another big bang and massive expansion like we experience now. This might be the only way that makes sense.
However, I haven't gotten a chance to take a lot of science classes yet, so I actually don't know much about the big bang. I'm hoping to take a science class next term.
I think my theory doesn't make a lot of sense because it requires a more steady timeline.
The bugle sounds as the charge begins

But on this battlefield no one wins

- Iron Maiden, The Trooper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16264 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5083 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3690 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1154 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 399 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2448 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1850 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6200 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3893 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5932 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet