Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big is the universe?
How big is the universe?
One source says it is 46 billion light years across. Another source say it's 23 billion light years across.

I try to do the math and there's no way I can think of that the universe could expand that far in less than 14 billion years. It would require particles to travel faster than light at least until very recently, meaning that the universe is slowing down, not accelerating.

Or maybe I'm missing something.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How big is the universe?
It's huge, that's all I know.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
[Image: quote-Douglas-Adams-space-is-big-you-jus...-47779.png]
Dying to live, living to die.
Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.

EDIT: Fuck you, Valk!
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(July 26, 2017 at 7:17 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: It's huge, that's all I know.

I like to put it this way, "It is ALOT MANY!"  

But if you are a narcissist like Rambo or Dirty Harry or Chuck Norris you should be able to walk that distance in short order only to discover you are the Knight in the Monty Python skit, "Just a flesh wound". 

Translation, ITS FUCKING MASSIVE!
(July 26, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Aegon Wrote: Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.

EDIT: Fuck you, Valk!

You've ninja'd me in the past.

It's nice to win once in a while.

Smile
Dying to live, living to die.
There is no real reason why the universe cannot be endless.

(A bit like the wife's nagging) he he .....shhhhhhh .....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 26, 2017 at 9:02 pm)ignoramus Wrote: There is no real reason why the universe cannot be endless.

(A bit like the wife's nagging)   he he .....shhhhhhh .....

She wouldn't have to nag if you were more conscientious.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I understand completely.
She talks so much it's like living next to a train line.
After a while you stop hearing it....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
It's at least as big as a blue whale, I'm pretty sure of that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16590 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5174 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3716 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1162 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 405 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2459 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1862 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6210 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3906 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5949 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet