Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Republicunt": why use terms like this?
"Republicunt": why use terms like this?
I've noticed terms like 'republicunt' being throw around quite a lot on this forum, and I'm wondering what this accomplishes. Any time derogatory terms like this are used, it makes the argument ad-hominem instead of issue based, and I'm unlikely to find the point being made persuasive even if I'd normally agree with it. In fact, it almost discredits the source in my eyes because I see them as biased.

Even if you disagree with something or someone entirely, name-calling seems counterproductive, because it alienates the parties that you are discussing. It serves to build echo-chambers, and it never makes you more likely to hear a rational response.

Am I missing something? Is there any benefit to this style of discussion?
RE: "Republicunt": why use terms like this?
Theres also Christards
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 11, 2017 at 1:50 pm)shadow Wrote: I've noticed terms like 'republicunt' being throw around quite a lot on this forum, and I'm wondering what this accomplishes. Any time derogatory terms like this are used, it makes the argument ad-hominem instead of issue based, and I'm unlikely to find the point being made persuasive even if I'd normally agree with it. In fact, it almost discredits the source in my eyes because I see them as biased.

Even if you disagree with something or someone entirely, name-calling seems counterproductive, because it alienates the parties that you are discussing. It serves to build echo-chambers, and it never makes you more likely to hear a rational response.

Am I missing something? Is there any benefit to this style of discussion?

No, there's no benefit at all.  Some people haven't seemed to master the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Personally I don't think it serves any purpose other than to divide people further.
PMSNBC is a funny one I hear on the radio frequently.

So too Susan Saranwrap, feminazis, anchorettes and drive by media.

IOWs, both sides do it, and I'm accustomed to it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think a lot of shitty people are drawn to the progressive side of the spectrum because it gives you social cover to be racist/sexist/bigotted. Minimalist is an awful person. But solely by calling the correct people cunts and retards, mums the word.

It's like Alec Baldwin. Guy is a known dumpster fire of a person, but he doesn't like trump, so everybody overlooks him treating women like shit or calling people faggots.
(November 11, 2017 at 2:06 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: PMSNBC is a funny one I hear on the radio frequently.

So too Susan Saranwrap, feminazis, anchorettes and drive by media.

IOWs, both sides do it, and I'm accustomed to it.

Totally. And how helpful is it when 'the other side' starts name calling? Does it ever make you more likely to listen to their views and have a rational discussion?

If not, what is accomplished by returning the insult?
Instant blanket condemnation.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I call them cunts, because they act like cunts. When they stop acting like a cunt, I'll stop calling them that.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(November 11, 2017 at 2:20 pm)Divinity Wrote: I call them cunts, because they act like cunts.  When they stop acting like a cunt, I'll stop calling them that.

Why, though? What's the actual purpose of calling anyone that? I can only assume it is to create a hostile environment for them to chase people you dislike away - pressure them out of the group. Is that the outcome you want on a discussion forum, though; to ensure that you will not come in contact with anyone from massively powerful groups with millions if not billions of members (like Republicans or Christians)? Do you not want a chance to either consider their views, or to try to convince them of your own, or understand their paradigm even if you don't agree with it? 

I think that attitude is close-minded and divisive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2058 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why wasn't Trump destroyed like Michael Jackson? WinterHold 11 1240 January 2, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2138 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3088 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What news sources do you guys use and/or trust? EgoDeath 13 1044 October 12, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  One Ass-Kicking And Republicunt Marsha Blackburn Changes Her Tune Minimalist 6 982 August 14, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Use this to check your irony meter. Gawdzilla Sama 5 518 August 6, 2018 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  But It Doesn't Matter When There's A Republicunt In Charge! Minimalist 25 3673 July 31, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: johan
  The WLB Criticized By A Republicunt Who Is Not Retiring? Minimalist 2 705 July 22, 2018 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Banana Republicunt Thinks It Is His Personal Property Minimalist 17 2124 May 20, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger