Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:20 am

Poll: What news sources do you use and/or trust?
This poll is closed.
Associated Press
7.59%
6 7.59%
Reuters
8.86%
7 8.86%
NBC
5.06%
4 5.06%
Bloomberg
3.80%
3 3.80%
CBS
6.33%
5 6.33%
BBC
12.66%
10 12.66%
The Hill
2.53%
2 2.53%
The Wall Street Journal
2.53%
2 2.53%
The New York Times
5.06%
4 5.06%
NPR
5.06%
4 5.06%
CNN
8.86%
7 8.86%
Fox
2.53%
2 2.53%
The Fiscal Times
0%
0 0%
National Review
2.53%
2 2.53%
The American Conservative
0%
0 0%
MSNBC
5.06%
4 5.06%
The Weekly Standard
0%
0 0%
The Guardian
7.59%
6 7.59%
Huffington Post
6.33%
5 6.33%
Other
7.59%
6 7.59%
Total 79 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What news sources do you guys use and/or trust?
What news sources do you guys use and/or trust?
Regardless of your political leanings (or maybe lack thereof?), we all usually have specific sites or publications we enjoy using/reading/consuming and/or sites or publications we legitimately trust. That being said, almost all, if not all, news sources have some sort of left or right leaning political bias. 

I'm a little left-leaning and I personally hate "interpretations" of the news because at the end of the day I don't want to simply subscribe to someone else's opinion of a matter, so I tend to only trust Associated Press and Reuters. I may read some articles on Huffington Post once in a while but I don't necessarily trust them as a source of news. I usually trust CNN though there has been some shady stuff with them in recent times and in the past, so I usually take whatever's said on CNN with a grain of salt.

I can't really say I read any right-leaning publications, but in my mind AP and Reuters are about as unbiased as it can get so I feel comfortable with those.

What do you guys use and why?

edit: I'm sure there's plenty of news sources I missed and maybe I missed your favorite one so if I did please vote "other" and comment what source and why here in the thread.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: What news sources do you guys use and/or trust?
Everything except FOX and the fascist sites, like Breitbart.
(October 11, 2018 at 2:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Everything except FOX and the fascist sites, like Breitbart.

Awesome. Vote on the poll if you'd like.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
The Belly Telly (Belfast Telegraph) is my hometown paper. I've been involved in several incidents reported in the Telegraph that matched when I saw and heard on the ground.  The BBC, by comparison, are only trustworthy reporting footy scores and which Royals are fucking up.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
There was a similar thread posted recently, Most (and least) trustworthy news sources.

I depend primarily on the Washington Post, the New York Times, NPR and MPR (MN Public Radio), and Minnpost (a Minnesota-centric independent news organization). Beyond that, I read the sports in my local city newspaper, and occasionally check the BBC News site to see if there's anything I missed. Additionally, I use twitter off and on to be alerted to stories that don't prop up in other feeds. I used to depend primarily on hearing about things on the forum or in slack, but that's changed substantially a few months ago.

(Looking at your poll options, I notice that the Washington Post is notoriously absent.)
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Online I always read the BBC news and various Irish publications for local news etc. On tv I watch the Channel 4 news and I tend to have Sky News on in the background when I’m messing about on the iPad. At the weekend I listen to news on the radio from RTÉ, the national broadcaster.
[Image: Magic-8-Ball.jpg]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The National Enquirer.
I made that other thread and I remember people saying how they liked npr because it was unbiased. I had a long drive and listened to a lot of npr on it.

It definitely leans left. I have no idea how someone could conclude otherwise. As I pointed out in the other thread, that doesn't mean that it's not trustworthy though. I don't think trustworthyness and bias are necessarily super strongly correlated.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
They're probably thinking of the factual quality of the reporting.  The presenters and story selection are tailored to their predominantly liberal audience...and this represents a minor leftward slant, but juxtaposed against, say, fox news (a standard for biased reporting) which has an immense rightward lean and mixed factual reporting..people may not consider it a meaningful bias.  

NPR is, largely, libs -reading- the news. I think that people might even be willing (maybe even more willing) to accept that an openly partisan body is not meaningfully biased so long as the quality of reporting is sufficient.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "In God We Trust" replacement Fake Messiah 16 1422 January 15, 2024 at 4:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2082 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3116 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Use this to check your irony meter. Gawdzilla Sama 5 529 August 6, 2018 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  "Republicunt": why use terms like this? shadow 162 22876 November 27, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Those sad Trump internet trolls/tough guys NuclearEnergy 11 2563 July 16, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Where Are All These Rich Guys Supposed to Come From? InquiringMind 17 2108 March 13, 2017 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Don't use finger print scanners: Jehanne 24 3354 October 31, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Having a hard time really knowing who to trust in politics anymore EruptedCarcassBloat 32 4313 October 19, 2016 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Good News - Bad News Minimalist 3 655 July 5, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: account_inactive