Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Storm Before The Storm
The Storm Before The Storm
Mike Duncan, in an interview with Smithsonian.com, schlepping his book;
Quote:After Rome conquers Carthage, and after they decide to annex Greece, and after they conquer Spain and acquire all the silver mines, you have wealth on an unprecedented scale coming into Rome. The flood of wealth was making the richest of the rich Romans wealthier than would’ve been imaginable even a couple generations earlier. You’re talking literally 300,000 gold pieces coming back with the Legions. All of this is being concentrated in the hands of the senatorial elite, they’re the consuls and the generals, so they think it’s natural that it all accumulates in their hands.
At the same time, these wars of conquest were making the poor quite a bit poorer. Roman citizens were being hauled off to Spain or Greece, leaving for tours that would go on for three to five years a stretch. While they were gone, their farms in Italy would fall into disrepair. The rich started buying up big plots of land. In the 130s and 140s you have this process of dispossession, where the poorer Romans are being bought out and are no longer small citizen owners. They’re going to be tenant owners or sharecroppers and it has a really corrosive effect on the traditional ways of economic life and political life. As a result, you see this skyrocketing economic inequality. 

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/fa...oundations-
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: The Storm Before The Storm
(November 19, 2017 at 10:05 am)Khemikal Wrote: Mike Duncan, in an interview with Smithsonian.com, schlepping his book;
Quote:After Rome conquers Carthage, and after they decide to annex Greece, and after they conquer Spain and acquire all the silver mines, you have wealth on an unprecedented scale coming into Rome. The flood of wealth was making the richest of the rich Romans wealthier than would’ve been imaginable even a couple generations earlier. You’re talking literally 300,000 gold pieces coming back with the Legions. All of this is being concentrated in the hands of the senatorial elite, they’re the consuls and the generals, so they think it’s natural that it all accumulates in their hands.
At the same time, these wars of conquest were making the poor quite a bit poorer. Roman citizens were being hauled off to Spain or Greece, leaving for tours that would go on for three to five years a stretch. While they were gone, their farms in Italy would fall into disrepair. The rich started buying up big plots of land. In the 130s and 140s you have this process of dispossession, where the poorer Romans are being bought out and are no longer small citizen owners. They’re going to be tenant owners or sharecroppers and it has a really corrosive effect on the traditional ways of economic life and political life. As a result, you see this skyrocketing economic inequality. 

Is it a really heavy book?  Or did he just bring a lot of them to the interview? (You misused the word 'schlepping').

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Cultural, Boru, cultural.   Tongue

Did you read through the interview, one of the best from them in awhile...and they have alot of good stuff.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 19, 2017 at 10:05 am)Khemikal Wrote: Mike Duncan, in an interview with Smithsonian.com, schlepping his book;

GOP is taking a page out of the policy of greed.
Maybe the solution is to recognize acquisition in the 100's of millions of dollars as a disease. These people need an intervention. I'll go sharpen the guillotines.
(November 19, 2017 at 10:05 am)Khemikal Wrote: Mike Duncan, in an interview with Smithsonian.com, schlepping his book;

That's not exactly a new theory. Wouldn't be that surprised if it's as old as Gibbon.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Quote:Did you read through the interview

Of course I didn't read it.  I don't come to AF to learn anything, fer Chrissakes.  I come here to pounce on trivial mistakes like a starving ocelot on a distracted mouse.  Thank you.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Attendee: Brought peace?

Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!

Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

He's spot on until right here.

Quote:They’re going to be tenant owners or sharecroppers and it has a really corrosive effect on the traditional ways of economic life and political life.

He left out the part where the owners of the latifundia brought in massive amounts of slave labor to work their newly acquired lands.  The displaced Roman farmers, who not only provided the food for the city but also were classed based on their wealth into the various divisions of the republic's army ( hastati, principes, triari, equites, ) were the backbone of the force.  Generally, the displaced farmers drifted into the city and became the urban mob.  Politically there had been serious rifts between the patrician and plebian classes since virtually the founding of the republic but in the aftermath of the fall of Carthage and Corinth ( both in 146 BC).  Within 20 years the Gracchi brothers were leading the populist movement calling for land reform and although both were murdered by Patrician thugs the process continued on until Caesar defeated Pompey.

When I have time tonight I'll have to read the whole thing.
I think he alludes to that in a tiny blip about that particular problem not being solved until they effectively disappeared as a class.  It seems like a hell of an omission..since it would only further highlight parralels to our current situation, in which more easily exploitable classes are the preferred form of labor....and only if the postage to get a product to our doors is too great if it;s shipped from a country with virtual or actual slave labor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arabs before Islam: video. WinterHold 26 2060 September 30, 2021 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Did Croatians settle in America before Columbo? FlatAssembler 14 1692 September 24, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: no one
  I have said it before. human history. Brian37 11 1536 July 30, 2019 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama