Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA foul rules, clue me in......
NBA foul rules, clue me in......
Ok, it has been decades since I paid attention to college or pro basketball. 

My memory tells me upon a foul, you get 1 or two shots at the top of the key. BUT, tonight watching an Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets game, the foul resulted in the guy at the top of the Key getting 3 shots. Was I imagining that?
RE: NBA foul rules, clue me in......
(December 25, 2017 at 9:59 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, it has been decades since I paid attention to college or pro basketball. 

My memory tells me upon a foul, you get 1 or two shots at the top of the key. BUT, tonight watching an Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets game, the foul resulted in the guy at the top of the Key getting 3 shots. Was I imagining that?

If the foul occurs in the act of shooting, then the player gets 2 free throws.

If the foul occurs in the act of shooting and the player makes the shot, then he gets 1 free throw.

If the foul occurs during a 3 point shot, then the player gets 3 free throws.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Well, we have ten grown men running around in public while wearing little more than their boxer shorts and undershirts, dribbling on the floor and fouling themselves.

Why spoil that with rules?
(December 26, 2017 at 12:21 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(December 25, 2017 at 9:59 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, it has been decades since I paid attention to college or pro basketball. 

If the foul occurs in the act of shooting, then the player gets 2 free throws.

If the foul occurs in the act of shooting and the player makes the shot, then he gets 1 free throw.

Huh, when did that change?  Cause I swear 20 years ago even for 3 point fouls you still only got 2 free throws.
The only constant is change.
(December 26, 2017 at 11:32 am)Whateverist Wrote: The only constant is change.

Modern day warrior mean mean stride. Is someone a Rush fan?
(December 26, 2017 at 7:40 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 26, 2017 at 12:21 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: If the foul occurs in the act of shooting, then the player gets 2 free throws.

Huh, when did that change?  Cause I swear 20 years ago even for 3 point fouls you still only got 2 free throws.

This has not been the case for at least 30 years.
(December 26, 2017 at 11:42 am)wallym Wrote:
(December 26, 2017 at 7:40 am)Brian37 Wrote: Huh, when did that change?  Cause I swear 20 years ago even for 3 point fouls you still only got 2 free throws.

This has not been the case for at least 30 years.

Cant be that far back. Really? HUH. Ok, but then again, I really have not paid attention to basketball since the days of UNC and Dean Smith. 

I remember when they added the 3 point shot, but I am not even talking about that. I really do not remember in either college or pro, when you got more than two free throws no matter the foul. 

I am not doubting you. It just seems so weird. I am getting old.  Dodgy Big Grin

I think they should add a 4 point shot. Anything past half court.
Rush who?
(December 26, 2017 at 1:29 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Rush who?

The band. You made a reference to change.

Tom Sawyer the RUSH song, 

"The changes are permanent, but change is"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aussie Rules Football MarcusA 1 422 August 20, 2023 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  NBA playoffs to begin this coming weekend. My Warriors have Rip City in first round. Whateverist 5 1047 April 13, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Rugby Union, Rugby League, NFL, Australian Rules or International Rules? RobertE 21 3390 October 1, 2016 at 7:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  2016 NBA Finals Discussion Thread SteelCurtain 21 2666 July 5, 2016 at 3:17 am
Last Post: Whateverist