Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space
My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space
I’ve always been a big fan of magnetic levitation trains in vacuum tubes like the Virgin hyperloop. This project is inspiring. It could bring the globe together and better the lives of everyone on the planet. The concept is from Musk and it’s awesome on many different levels, but he’s not backing that horse. He wants to go to space, but rather than working with the maglev technology of a Startram he’s trying to re-invent the wheel with fossil fuel based rockets. To add insult to injury for his first package into space he sent a Tesla as a publicity stunt. I share the sadness for the waste of an opportunity for research and advancement that this represents.
http://www.iflscience.com/space/not-ever...nto-space/

And it’s not like Musk isn’t renewable energy conscious. His solar collecting shingles are very nice, and pretty cool. Even if I’m his Powerwall is un-inspiring it’s at least an attempt to move away from fossil fuels.

Now I tried to think positively about this. I tried to convince myself that this is just advertising, and it’s working. I should admit that a lot of people are talking about it. I’ll also admit that as this was the maiden voyage so as Musk said, “there is a good chance this monster rocket blows up”, but the whole thing just seems like such a waste to me. He could have easily sent up expendable experiments, or I’m sure he could have gotten some investors to take a risk with a contingency that if the rocket blew up they wouldn’t have to pay for the trip, but if it was successful they had to pay him and he could have recouped some much-needed capital on his passion project.

I get the infatuation with space, but it just seems like to me that he’s throwing reason out the window in pursue of his dreams.
ForDebating.com is now in beta. 

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating 
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-...4lsJZjr6GQ
RE: My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space
Answered this at another site.
This is what Thunderf00t thinks of the hyperloop bollocks.

As for your objection to fossil fuels the only alternative is liquid hydrogen but there are a whole shed load of issues with using that stuff. In practice nothing beats good old fashioned paraffin and lox.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Progress is being made in interesting fashions toward a low-power catalytic system of separating hydrogen from oxygen. The ScienceDaily site has more on that.
Musk's big rocket does have a HUGE improvement over the shuttle.  Musk does NOT use ammonium perchlorate in his design.  While rarely criticized, the shuttle burned tons and tons of the stuff up to very high altitudes (150,000 feet IIRC).  The problem with that is the perchlorate contains chlorine and it is deposited in the atmosphere in the ozone layer.  How many aerosol cans equivalent would a shuttle launch represent?  Well, a bunch, I'm not doing the math.  But any more chlorine in the ozone layer was a bad thing.

So Musk did a major environmental plus by not using big solid rocket boosters to get to his 5 million pounds of thrust.  And such a big rocket, for under $100,000,000 would inherently be inclined to be environmentally friendly.  He's clearly not utilizing exotic materials/super advanced technology/excessive head count to loft his payloads.  Just a quick look at the price tag I think confers a pretty big embrace of working on the 'green' side of the ledger.

As for ballast, IIRC the Saturn 5 went up with sand. Other rockets have used concrete. I personally loved the picture of a used car being used for ballast. Not a practical way of getting rid of used cars, but maybe it will give someone an idea . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I thought sending a Tesla into space was fucking cool. The fact that it’s live streaming the journey and “Life on Mars” is playing as it does so makes it even cooler.

People who have a problem with this are weird. It was a test flight, it was funny, it was inspirational. People are talking about space again.
(February 10, 2018 at 12:36 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Musk's big rocket does have a HUGE improvement over the shuttle.  Musk does NOT use ammonium perchlorate in his design.  While rarely criticized, the shuttle burned tons and tons of the stuff up to very high altitudes (150,000 feet IIRC).  The problem with that is the perchlorate contains chlorine and it is deposited in the atmosphere in the ozone layer.  How many aerosol cans equivalent would a shuttle launch represent?  Well, a bunch, I'm not doing the math.  But any more chlorine in the ozone layer was a bad thing.

So Musk did a major environmental plus by not using big solid rocket boosters to get to his 5 million pounds of thrust.  And such a big rocket, for under $100,000,000 would inherently be inclined to be environmentally friendly.  He's clearly not utilizing exotic materials/super advanced technology/excessive head count to loft his payloads.  Just a quick look at the price tag I think confers a pretty big embrace of working on the 'green' side of the ledger.

As for ballast, IIRC the Saturn 5 went up with sand.  Other rockets have used concrete.  I personally loved the picture of a used car being used for ballast. Not a practical way of getting rid of used cars, but maybe it will give someone an idea . . . .

I wonder what Falcon heavy’s Actual LEO capacity is if it launched with the intent of recovering the boosters. The weight of the landing struts, structural reinformemts, and reserve fuel on the fist stage has to substantially reduce the rockets payload capacity.

I suspect the advertised LEO capacity is based on configurationsvthat forgo recovery possibility.
Considering how enthusiastic the world governments are about funding non-war related space tech and how stoked the general population is about normal-not-alien-related space ventures, I do believe we could use more of these real-science-and-pr-stunt-rolled-into-one demonstrations.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I'm not an Elon Musk fan particularly but I thought it was one of the coolest stunts ever performed.

The third stage needed ballast for a test flight. If he wants to use his car as ballast, that's his business.
As long the car has an insurance we are ok. If it hits a spaceship of sorts, with no insurance, that's an interstellar war waiting to happen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US & Russian participation on the International Space Station. Jehanne 8 1120 December 18, 2022 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are conservatives in this country trying to turn 'Murica into Nazi Germany? Foxaèr 11 1414 May 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Solar Beams from space setting fires. brewer 25 1441 February 8, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 553 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Are Christians trying to turn US into a theocracy? Fake Messiah 11 742 October 8, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Russia Bounty Issue is Indefensible AFTT47 19 1229 July 7, 2020 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Ukraine/Crimea/Russia issue Mystic 23 5501 April 5, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  NDT on Trump's "Space Force" EgoDeath 50 4598 February 26, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2496 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is it Politics has no turned into an us verses them? Why? GODZILLA 29 2474 July 11, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist