Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who moved or stayed?
Who moved or stayed?
I still live in the town where I was born, I'm fairly happy here most of the time, and have no plans to move away (as things stand.)

My questions are.... Who stayed in the area they were born in? Who moved away, and if so why, when and where?
Are any of you serial movers?
RE: Who moved or stayed?
The Y-donor moved us whenever he felt like it. Seven times in grade school. Twenty years in the USN, my "house" moved a lot.
(February 13, 2018 at 9:06 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The Y-donor moved us whenever he felt like it. Seven times in grade school. Twenty years in the USN, my "house" moved a lot.

You must have seen a lot of the world. Are you settled where you are now, or do you have the itch?
Oh man, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Africa when I was around 3 months old. Spend 5 years there moving around to 4 different countries and visiting a bunch more, then moved to Georgia (the state), then to Dubai, Oman, and Saudi Arabia, then finally to Chicago, which is where my parents still live. I'm currently in DC working for the NIH, so I think it's safe to say I haven't stayed where I was born, heh.

Dad wasn't military, but a project engineer for power plants, oil refineries, and irrigation systems - which meant a lot of developing countries.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(February 13, 2018 at 9:22 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Oh man, I was born in Delaware, then moved to Africa when I was around 3 months old.  Spend 5 years there moving around to 4 different countries and visiting a bunch more, then moved to Georgia (the state), then to Dubai, Oman, and Saudi Arabia, then finally to Chicago, which is where my parents still live.  I'm currently in DC working for the NIH, so I think it's safe to say I haven't stayed where I was born, heh.  

Dad wasn't military, but a project engineer for power plants, oil refineries, and irrigation systems - which meant a lot of developing countries.

Wow, that sounds like some childhood, and makes mine look really boring, The farthest I travelled as a kid was to North Wales Smile
(February 13, 2018 at 9:16 am)Cod Wrote:
(February 13, 2018 at 9:06 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The Y-donor moved us whenever he felt like it. Seven times in grade school. Twenty years in the USN, my "house" moved a lot.

You must have seen a lot of the world. Are you settled where you are now, or do you have the itch?

I slept in 72 countries, passed through a few more on the fly while on active duty. Now I'm dossed down in St. Louis with no intent to move again. Over 65, it's too much of a hassle.
I was raised in central Kansas. That was good enough reason to move away. Smile
53 years old and live about 20 minutes from where I grew up. For my wife it's only 10 minutes.
(February 13, 2018 at 10:01 am)polymath257 Wrote: I was raised in central Kansas. That was good enough reason to move away. Smile

Where have you gone to? Somewhere less windy I hope (I've seen The Wizard of Oz)
(February 13, 2018 at 9:02 am)Cod Wrote: I still live in the town where I was born, I'm fairly happy here most of the time, and have no plans to move away (as things stand.)

My questions are.... Who stayed in the area they were born in? Who moved away, and if so why, when and where?
Are any of you serial movers?

I'm a serial killer .. hehe serial movers Tongue
It started with the fact that my parents were moving.. always looking for work...
then I went to college and there was no university in my area so I had to move out of the house Tongue
then I started to move .. in search of work and I moved 7 times.
.. and I know that the last move wasn't the last one because I live in the capital now and this is the worst place to live!!!
I would like to live by the sea... Smile

btw I live in Poland Tongue
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marijuana - Good or Bad? Moved Topic!! goodvibesonly 25 2918 November 11, 2014 at 6:52 am
Last Post: simplemoss