Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Here
Tongue 
New Here
Hey guys, 

Signing up today to learn more about how you guys think. I've already learned some in my first thread, so thanks to those who participated so far. I've actually wanted to find a website like this for a long time, just never done it. Life gets in the way. But I finally have, and I'd like to just pick your brains on certain issues. I like to hear from people who are actually adherents to some idea, in this case, atheism. I hope I don't come in the line of fire as much as I already did in the first thread I posted up. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to get information, and I realize sometimes that will take the form of argument, which is fine, but I'm just trying to get to the bottom of questions, and do so with integrity and respect for others. Cheers and thanks to the administrators for maintaining the forum and all the other work you do.
RE: New Here
Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
Hello. 

What have you been taught that "atheism" is?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome to the forums!

Atheism is a lack of belief, so atheists don't adhere to any "idea." But there is plenty of time to make that point elsewhere.

For now, glad to have you aboard.
Welcome. I understand that you probably grew up with god and church part of a generally accepted background. You sound like you genuinely want to understand. I wish you luck in trying to make sense of science and culture beyond those background assumptions.
Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome, and sorry I was cunt in your other thread. We get a lot of trolls rolling through here, so it’s a knee-jerk reaction. 😎
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm)JMT Wrote: Hey guys, 

Signing up today to learn more about how you guys think. I've already learned some in my first thread, so thanks to those who participated so far. I've actually wanted to find a website like this for a long time, just never done it. Life gets in the way. But I finally have, and I'd like to just pick your brains on certain issues. I like to hear from people who are actually adherents to some idea, in this case, atheism. I hope I don't come in the line of fire as much as I already did in the first thread I posted up. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to get information, and I realize sometimes that will take the form of argument, which is fine, but I'm just trying to get to the bottom of questions, and do so with integrity and respect for others. Cheers and thanks to the administrators for maintaining the forum and all the other work you do.

Welcome Smile
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
Welcome to our little corner of the world.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and you can learn something new Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(February 22, 2018 at 7:06 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Hello. 

What have you been taught that "atheism" is?

If you’re asking a simple question I can only give a simple answer. No god. My thinking though, is that has implications for other areas

(February 22, 2018 at 7:37 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Welcome to the forums!

Atheism is a lack of belief, so atheists don't adhere to any "idea." But there is plenty of time to make that point elsewhere.

For now, glad to have you aboard.
Isn’t your response an idea? If there’s no god is there an idea, perhaps? Or is idea non-permissible due to its non-physical nature? Thanks for the welcome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 454 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 564 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 964 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1258 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1091 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie