Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution
Evolution
These days most people believe in evolution whether they are atheists, believer or anything in the middle.
The point however is to make sure that people know how evolution works otherwise is all futile.  Lightbulb

There is no point in believing in something if we do not know how the system works.
That would be faith rather than real knowledge.
It would be like a child that believe in Santa.
It would be all good but in the dream land not in the reality.

Here some question that we should know before we can say that we know what survival is all about.

1) Is evolution based only in body changes or involve consciousness as well?
2) What is driving evolution?
Survival only or involve also the need to reach some goal in life?
3) Are individual who are not able to survive lost for ever or will pop up in a different environment  most suitable to their capabilities to survive?
4) Did Darwin and other really studied other possibilities other than whether evolution is driven only by survival?
5) Can a plant evolve into an animal, an animal into a human or plant stay plant, animal stay animal and human stay human?
6) If evolution exist is because there is a goal to reach or is all about random chances?
7) Does evolution act like the gear of a vehicle that increase his speed as it change the gear?
RE: Evolution
Quote:1) Is evolution based only in body changes or involve consciousness as well?

Dunno.

Quote:2) What is driving evolution? Survival only or involve also the need to reach some goal in life?

Largely survival, as evolution is directionless.

Quote:3) Are individual who are not able to survive lost for ever or will pop up in a different environment  most suitable to their capabilities to survive?

Lost forever.

Quote:4) Did Darwin and other really studied other possibilities other than whether evolution is driven only by survival?

Not that I'm aware of,  but very ddoubtful.

Quote:5) Can a plant evolve into an animal, an animal into a human or plant stay plant, animal stay animal and human stay human?

Humans are animals. Given enough time, plants could theoretically evolve into animals and vice versa.  I know of no bar to cross-kingdom evolution.

Quote:6) If evolution exist is because there is a goal to reach or is all about random chances?

Evolution has no 'goal' in the sense I think you mean. Evolution is not all about random chances.

Quote:7) Does evolution act like the gear of a vehicle that increase his speed as it change the gear?

Evolution has no set speed.  Some species (drosophila) evolve with astonishing rapidity, while others (tuatara come to mind) seem to have been unchanged for hundreds of millions of years.

Sober Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 25, 2018 at 10:57 am)Little Rik Wrote: There is no point in believing in something if we do not know how the system works.
That would be faith rather than real knowledge.

Silly.

All we need to know is that the evidence for it is overwhelming and that it has withstood every attempt to falsify it for over a century.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
This shit again?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
We don't need to know every single thing about evolution to accept that it's true
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(February 25, 2018 at 11:41 am)Tizheruk Wrote: We don't need to know every single thing about evolution to accept that it's true

If we  knew ever single thing about evolution Little Dik would still say otherwise.
(February 25, 2018 at 11:41 am)Tizheruk Wrote: We don't need to know every single thing about evolution to accept that it's true

Exactly right.  Fortunately, we know enough about evolution to know that it would be perverse to deny it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 25, 2018 at 11:29 am)Cyberman Wrote: This shit again?

Remember who you're referring to.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
You all say evolution is true, but let me ask you one question.

If humans came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Check mate, atheists!
Dying to live, living to die.
You're overthinking it. It's more like "If humans came from monkeys, why are tomatoes not made of chocolate? Cheque meat, amethysts!"
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30307 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger