Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 16, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artificial Photosynthesis
Artificial Photosynthesis
Quote:Looking for new solutions to more efficiently harvest and store solar energy, scientists from the U.S. and China have synthesized a new, dual-atom catalyst to serve as a platform for artificial photosynthesis, the team reported today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

-cont
Quote:The team developed an iridium catalyst with only two active metal centers. Most significantly, experiments revealed the catalyst to be a well-defined structure, capable of serving as a productive platform for future research on solar fuel synthesis.
"Our research concerns the technology for direct solar energy storage," said Boston College Associate Professor of Chemistry Dunwei Wang, a lead author of the report. "It addresses the critical challenge that solar energy is intermittent. It does so by directly harvesting solar energy and storing the energy in chemical bonds, similar to how photosynthesis is performed but with higher efficiencies and lower cost."
-and
Quote:Wang said the team of researchers set out to determine "what the smallest active and most durable heterogeneous catalyst unit for water oxidation could be. Previously, researchers have asked this question and found the answer only in homogeneous catalysts, whose durability was poor. For the first time, we have a glimpse of the potential of heterogeneous catalysts in clean energy production and storage."
https://phys.org/news/2018-03-dual-atom-...l.html#jCp
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Artificial Photosynthesis
Mad cool. 

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
RE: Artificial Photosynthesis
Yup, the horseless carriage of solar energy.  Bad news for existing farms whenever they make it to market, though.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artificial Rain Technology Silver 13 1518 August 10, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Artificial Neural Networks for 'kids' Face2face 0 616 November 24, 2017 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Face2face
  Human defeated by Artificial Intelligence, from confidence to utter powerlessness causal code 15 2946 October 29, 2017 at 5:16 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence ThoughtCurvature 28 6683 October 23, 2017 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: causal code
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 1086 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet