Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does one say?
What does one say?
Not sure if this is the right forum to start something like this, but...

I'm sure we've all ran into this kind of person. The one that says "I wanted to commit suicide/I was an alcoholic/I was a chain smoker/I was a prostitute/I was apart of a gang/etc." and claim that a god 'got them out of that situation'.

Personally, I know two(my mom and my BFF at one time wanted to kill themselves) and they both hate it when I in some way tell them that the thing that "kept them alive" doesn't even exist (In other words "If there's no god, how can I still be alive?"). And I'm the kind of person that, especially when under pressure, doesn't always know what to say.

The question is, what would you say to a theist who had a horrible life and is now, I guess, happy?

Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: What does one say?
The psychological benefits yielded from a belief in deities can be very real, the deities themselves are not.
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
you say "I'm glad you are happy."
If they say this is why you should believe in god you could tell them that you are perfectly happy the way you are.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Quote:The question is, what would you say to a theist who had a horrible life and is now, I guess, happy?

Well,this is what I actually say (more or less): "I'm A lifelong unipolar depressive. (currently stable) I'm also a recovering alcoholic with over 8 yeasr sobriety.Also an ex smoker( 7years) having quit a 70-a-day addiction.

I'm also an atheist. I sought and accepted the professional help I needed. However, I got well because I accepted responsibility for my own life and made a committed decision to change. I did that without relying on the crutch a ' higher power' and other superstitions."

Today I'm 1000% happier than I was in the grip of my addictions. I have not been suicidal for about 10 years.

I would say, "That's nice." Why would you want to piss on something they value? Now, if they started with that, then moved to the fapping about how I needed to follow their example, well, that would prompt quite a different response. There should be no such thing as an evangelical atheist.
(November 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I would say, "That's nice." Why would you want to piss on something they value? Now, if they started with that, then moved to the fapping about how I needed to follow their example, well, that would prompt quite a different response. There should be no such thing as an evangelical atheist.
Evangelical atheist?

Try this: Last time something like this came up(this was very recent, actually), I was telling my friend that when I have kids, I'm not gonna make them believe in santa claus (in other words, "Why would have them believe in Santa if I'm not gonna have them believe in a god?") because that would be lying. She got hurt when I made the comparison, started ranting, saying things like, "I hate it when you say the one thing that kept me from killing myself is a lie." and "God is real. Santa isn't."

I didn't mean to make her mad. Confused

Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
(November 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm)Diamond Wrote: She got hurt when I made the comparison, started ranting, saying things like, "I hate it when you say the one thing that kept me from killing myself is a lie." and "God is real. Santa isn't."

There are multiple routes one could go with this, though at the moment I can only think of two. You could distract her with an ill-conceived joke or meme: "The cake is a lie too," or you could go all C.S. Lewis on her: "A man (or woman I'm assuming) can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." If she is secure in her beliefs and they provide her with a genuine measure of comfort, your lack of belief should not upset her. Attempting to dissuade her of her faith would likely do more harm than good. I'd wager it be best to reason with her through her faith, as it's obviously a delicate issue for her.
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
I always wonder why people tell their kids santa is real....

I've believed things that were lies to keep me from going nuts and I wouldn't be surprised if I knew they were a lie at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if I was believing one right now.
and it's her faith that kept her from killing herself, not god. unless some magical, old, white, bearded man came down from well, where ever he lives, came and physically made it impossible for her to kill herself or if he convinced her himself not to. but since he probably doesn't exist...he can't do it through someone else, that would be them doing it. it'd be like if I had a friend who's friend wanted to kill herself, I'd tell my friend to do something about it. I wouldn't be directly responsible for saving her life. and I would say I had nothing to do with it.

but if that were to happen again you should probably listen to Lethe, I'm just talking.

Also as a side note, I have depression myself and have seriously thought to kill myself on at least one occasion. I told myself that I should be concerned of the well-being of my friends. of course that wasn't the only thing, but this is just a side note.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(November 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm)Diamond Wrote: Evangelical atheist?

Yeah, you know, someone who actively proselytizes atheism. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evangelical+atheist

(November 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm)Diamond Wrote: Try this: Last time something like this came up(this was very recent, actually), I was telling my friend that when I have kids, I'm not gonna make them believe in santa claus (in other words, "Why would have them believe in Santa if I'm not gonna have them believe in a god?") because that would be lying. She got hurt when I made the comparison, started ranting, saying things like, "I hate it when you say the one thing that kept me from killing myself is a lie." and "God is real. Santa isn't."

I didn't mean to make her mad. Confused

Well, one should avoid saying things like that to people who believe in God unless that person is open to discussion. You should have stopped at this statement, "I'm not gonna make them believe in santa claus because that would be lying." easy peasy and you wouldn't have offended her.
"That wasn't god, that was just you, because you knew that deep inside, you wanted to live, you just needed an excuse, you found god as a excuse, and you lived, god isn't necessary to save you, you are the only thing you need to save yourself as a being."

I probably wouldn't say this...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 6440 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2281 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Environmental charities, what say you? Brian37 11 886 December 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: no one
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1063 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1716 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1526 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2163 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1101 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2263 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1840 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda