Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Lai: 50 Years Ago Today
My Lai: 50 Years Ago Today
An American hero: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-...story.html

"Today there's a little museum in My Lai, where Thompson is honored, and which displays a list of the names and ages of people killed that day. Trent Angers, Thompson's biographer and friend, analyzed the list and found about 50 there who were 3 years old or younger. He found 69 between the ages of 4 and 7, and 91 between the ages of 8 and 12.

Nick Turse investigated violence in Vietnam against noncombatants for his book “Kill Anything that Moves.” He concluded — after a decade of research in Pentagon archives and more than 100 interviews with American veterans and Vietnamese survivors — that Americans killing civilians in Vietnam was “pervasive and systematic.” One soldier told him there had been "a My Lai a month."

War is not healthy for children and other living things!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: My Lai: 50 Years Ago Today
It was such a shock when it happened.  The Army covered the massacre up for a year and then, when they couldn't contain the story any more, finally put one second lieutenant, William Calley, on trial.

Even though convicted, he was quietly released from house arrest ( yes, you read that right ) a few years later.  No senior officers were ever charged.
Here's a bizarre pro-My Lai song that I would never have believed was a real thing, especially since I discovered it, with lyrics, in the pages of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (it did not make it into the movie):

Even Hunter S. Thompson wasn't sure this wasn't just another hallucination when he first heard it. But I googled it (maybe Youtubed it; I'm not sure if I knew Youtube was a even a thing when I first read the book, and I don't remember if they had anywhere near all the music they have now, even adjusting for 12 years of music history) and sure enough, I found out it was a real thing. 

Fortunately, Calley himself has since apologised for his role in the massacre:
William Calley Wrote:"There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai. I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry... If you are asking why I did not stand up to them when I was given the orders, I will have to say that I was a 2nd Lieutenant getting orders from my commander and I followed them—foolishly, I guess."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Following orders never absolves you of guilt.

I'm old enough to remember My Lai. It was an enormous and as we might expect, divisive issue. But with 'twists'.

A point that has stuck with me was if 18 year olds were going to be second guessed afterwards for their conduct maybe they shouldn't be there in the first place. Which is how even 'hawkish' war supporters were voicing doubts about continuing the war, IMO.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 18, 2018 at 8:26 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Following orders never absolves you of guilt.

And now for an applicable clip from a film I finally got on a Kino Lorber Studio Classics Blu-Ray:

Befehl ist Befehl; as hollow a phrase now as it was 73 years ago.

(March 18, 2018 at 8:28 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'm old enough to remember My Lai.  It was an enormous and as we might expect, divisive issue.  But with 'twists'.

A point that has stuck with me was if 18 year olds were going to be second guessed afterwards for their conduct maybe they shouldn't be there in the first place.  Which is how even 'hawkish' war supporters were voicing doubts about continuing the war, IMO.

18 year old's were often mature enough to burn their draft cards and refuse to kill people that were doing them no harm. I can't put myself in their shoes as I was 15 when the Vietnam war ended. I did have plans to go see my family in Quebec if it continued though.

(March 18, 2018 at 8:26 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Following orders never absolves you of guilt.

Actually it does but only if you are on the winning side.
(March 18, 2018 at 9:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Actually it does but only if you are on the winning side.

Guilt implies culpability. Culpability implies potentially answering for one's crimes. The winning side never has to answer for their crimes. That's why they're the winning side.

(March 18, 2018 at 10:43 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(March 18, 2018 at 9:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Actually it does but only if you are on the winning side.

Guilt implies culpability. Culpability implies potentially answering for one's crimes. The winning side never has to answer for their crimes. That's why they're the winning side.

Luckily, we did not win in Viet Nam!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 years on death row Thumpalumpacus 48 1281 March 3, 2024 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4459 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Adnan Oktar, TV cult preacher jailed for 8,658 years in Turkey LinuxGal 1 576 November 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Motorcade for local marine killed in the evacuation happened today brewer 1 259 September 10, 2021 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Today's Headline: BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1279 April 8, 2021 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A Few Days Ago, I Made A Mistake BrianSoddingBoru4 57 3427 March 29, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  black people 450 years a slave?!!? Drich 77 6812 June 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  POTUS having a really bad day today. Brian37 20 2664 November 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Leon Redbone dies today! chimp3 5 723 June 2, 2019 at 2:52 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Today in "Sell More And Do Nothing" Brian37 77 4485 April 12, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger